OKC VA somehow supplying drugs to the streets?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Came across this tonight and I am sure it is happening system wide. Seems that the OKC VA is being accused of supplying drugs to the streets.

Management became aware of the recurring theft without reporting it to higher levels of governance within the VA system, said Riviello, a Florence Nightingale Award winner for nursing.
The nurse detailed visible abuse of a machine that dispenses medication. Hospital staff need to punch in a code to get medicine from the machine. Vials of morphine were being replaced with other ingredients, including saline and water. Records continued to show the accurate number of withdrawals from the machine, but morphine was not getting to the patients. The abuse was not noticed by management for about a year, according to Riviello.

Albany Stratton VA Medical Center did not return a request for comment for this report.

Albany is not the only VA medical center that allegedly struggles with medicine theft. Insiders told TheDC that Oklahoma City’s inner city drug trade oozes with stolen goods from the Oklahoma City VA Medical Center.

http://weaponsman.com/?p=16585

http://dailycaller.com/2014/07/07/nurse-va-medical-staff-stole-morphine-from-dying-patients/

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back in the day, and I can't say how it happens now, but one year after discharge you got one visit to a VA dentist. I took advantage of it as I was having pain. The surgeon said I need to be out as one was horizontal under several molars.They put me out, and according what they told me, they cut away the gum, and drilled three holes into the wisdom tooth, using a chisel to break it up.

When they did the chisel thing. I sat up on the table and said WTF they said. Don't remember it, but afterwards the pony tailed skinnI y DR walked me down three levels to the VA pharmacy.

Got the script and went home with the instructions to take one every three hours. Took one, and I was a zombie for two days.

At that time I was a two pack a day smoker. Got rid of the bad tooth, and never had another cig.

7 days later when I went back to remove the stitches, he walked me back to the front door and aske

d if I needed a refill. Still think he was looking for a street outlet.

Don't remember what it was, but it stopped me from smoking and that was a good thing.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The code that get punched into the Pyxis machine is unique to each individual so that they know exactly who removes what, that's the whole point of the Pyxis system or at least it's supposed to. Sounds like it's not working out very well. I gotta think that if someone was taking IV morphine out and replacing it with saline, someone would have noticed before an entire year had passed. Either way the DEA is going to arse rape whoever was in charge of monitoring narcotics in that facility.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The code that get punched into the Pyxis machine is unique to each individual so that they know exactly who removes what, that's the whole point of the Pyxis system or at least it's supposed to. Sounds like it's not working out very well. I gotta think that if someone was taking IV morphine out and replacing it with saline, someone would have noticed before an entire year had passed. Either way the DEA is going to arse rape whoever was in charge of monitoring narcotics in that facility.
I've seen norman veteran center employees open the pyxis with a butter knife

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Unless their pharmacists are in on it, there's no way that they don't know about every pill and oz of liquid that comes in and out of the pharmacy. Someone stealing from the floors, anesthesia boxes, pyxis, omnicell, etc...........are not hard to track who's doing what, trends are easy to follow.

soonerman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A now-livin'-in-the-big-house relative was abusing the codine syrup or whatever.... getting it from the VA. Really pissed me off

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unless their pharmacists are in on it.

Key to the complaint I'll bet.

When I had my experience, it was 1976. It was just like walking up to a walmart pharmacy.

show them the script, and get the meds. It was just strange that he walked me down several story's to be with me when I got the prescription.

Latest posts

Top Bottom