Okie muley bucks!...lest hear some stories and see some pics!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The herd numbers on/around my place in Alfalfa county took a huge drop during the 2011-2013 drought and are still not back up to where they used to be, but they’re getting better every year.

This isn’t scientific data, but I started feeding “protein” (actually dairy pellets) in 2017 and could go 30 days on a ton. Last year, they were emptying two 1000 lb feeders in less than two weeks. Personally, I don’t think the deer are eating that much more, so the number of deer eating it have to be increasing.

I figured out last year though I can’t afford to feed protein out of a sack and am redirecting my efforts to adding to my food plots.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FB_IMG_1542487554242.jpg
This one came from Roger Mills county shot him in a group of about 20 the rest didn't even run off. I only shot him because I had never killed a mulie in Oklahoma before . Probably won't again he was almost tame.
P.S. while I was gutting him in the wheat field a around 160" 10point whitetail trotted by at about 50 yards

Last edited:

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How does the deer heard population look in your neck of woods county? I used to hunt it a lot, but gave it a break because I actually felt bad taking a deer there...I harvested a 185” and my partner harvested a 221” . The next year we gave up the lease because oil traffic destroyed the place right in the middle of season...dang shame...it will probably never be the same
Fair population. Actually seems to be rebounding some. The ranger said they had gotten blue tongue in the area but we never really saw evidence of it other than seeing fewer deer. Hard to really put the blame on one source since so many things changed about the same time. Farming practices, oil traffic, disease....likely all of it contributed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom