Oklahoma ban on gay marriage ruled unconstitutional

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cmhbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can't imagine how this feels. Even if a person is truly noble of heart and mind. This is a good young man, not stereotypical. That is the only reason I have not disowned her. He is a good black guy trying to make it by the white man's rules - he dresses and acts white, my take on it is that he mostly grew up with white kids. The fault lies with me. I am trying to accept this, but honestly - I'd rather her be gay than do this.

That says a lot, and puts things more in context. Good luck to you and them.

Riley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have not read the decision, so if Cards81fan is correct, that we are talking about contractual recognition, or civil unions, I have less of a problem with it. Though, it really should be decided by the voters, not the court. And, we seen that recognition of civil unions is generally not enough to put the issue to bed, so to speak....

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You hit the nail on the head. I have been trying to tell them that for a long time.

That is exactly how the US government first got involved in marriages. Before then, and up until about 1922 for everybody else, the government had no say in marriage in this country. Then they discovered they could make money off selling marriage licenses and the rest is history. You guys go ahead and think you are supporting peoples rights, you are really supporting the government sticking their nose in.
State governments had laws on the books against miscegenation [mud-sharkery] long before 1922. The Feds "stuck their nose in" to reverse those state laws.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, you've got that almost completely wrong. I'm saying marriage has always been a religious thing and it should remain so.

I don't agree that government has either the right, or the constitutional power, to re-define church teachings in their self styled sense of "fairness".

The idea that government is synonyms with religion was invalidated, at least on this part of this Continent, a couple hundred years ago. Interesting this government is rediscovering the practicality of dictating to the churches....

Ah but they're not re-defining church teachings. They're redefining government control of something, that government should not have outlawed in the first place. Here, now, the marriage ban that was overturned isn't a religious thing. It's a government thing. A government thing that many were perfectly happy denying to citizens of that same government, and many of whom cited religious grounds. In our system of government, deny on Religious grounds.

It's amazing that so many in history think government has no place in the church, but return to overtly advocate for the religious sanctity of government-enforced segregation, slavery or marriage restrictions, or whatever.

What the government does is and should not be religion, religious or founded in religion. Invariably there are many people of multiple religions or lack of religion: How can one religion do what's best for them all?

Personally I don't think the government has any business controlling any recognition of marriage in any way, but while we're here in the status quo we might as well make that simple-yet-overcomplicated government function available for anyone who wants it. Take my $50, give me a stupid piece of government paper. I was married before my wife and I ever set foot in the county clerk's office. That's not religion: That's common-law.

otis147

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We asked Caesar to certify marriage, and he did. For years, the standard, even in the church, for marriage is the official, governmental standard. It didn’t matter to us if you stood before a minister or the justice of the peace, if you were married, you were married. Marriage was official. Caesar said so. The church affirmed.

http://spilledwine.org/2012/05/sleeping-with-caesar/

underpar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Only a small percentage of us are gun owners. We should submit our rights to a popular vote.

You are exactly right. Who cares what the people think? Higher taxes, Obama Care, total anarchy! YES!!!!!

The issue I have with the ruling is that it was based on "Constitutional Interpretation"! No where in this glorious document is homosexuality, or "gay marriage" addressed. In this case, I would assume they used the 9th Amendment that protects rights not enumerated. However, an enumerated right was voted on by the people, and 75% agreed that "gay marriage" will not be recognized in Oklahoma.

Edit: Guess I should have read the article before posting. Should have guessed it was some form of discrimination! Limitless definitions there, open for all to point and cry "Discrimination"!!!!!!
My bad...... carry on!

To each there own, I could care less. I'm more worried about the liberal agenda "Constitutionally Interpreting" my 2nd Amendment rights, though at least these rights are defined verbatim! (arms=a weapon, especially a firearm; instruments or weapons of offense or defense)

jfssms

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
State governments had laws on the books against miscegenation [mud-sharkery] long before 1922. The Feds "stuck their nose in" to reverse those state laws.

Yeah well, isn't it just like the FED to watch 50 experiments then shut each one down at a time of their choosing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom