Oklahoma ban on gay marriage ruled unconstitutional

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So you're saying marriage has always been a government-controlled religious thing, and as such the government should enforce your particular view of marriage as it applies in your religion?

Just wait, we could start seeing white women marry blacks. You're missing the bigger picture here.

Riley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, you've got that almost completely wrong. I'm saying marriage has always been a religious thing and it should remain so.

I don't agree that government has either the right, or the constitutional power, to re-define church teachings in their self styled sense of "fairness".

The idea that government is synonyms with religion was invalidated, at least on this part of this Continent, a couple hundred years ago. Interesting this government is rediscovering the practicality of dictating to the churches....

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't much care for same-sex cohabitation, inter or rather inner-personal relationships, civil unions, cross dressing, what ever other adult, deviant activities in which one chooses to engage.

However I find it a bit alarming that the advocates of such, while embracing the ideas of individual liberties, would endeavor to re-define a religious rite for the church. Which is of course where the concept of marriage originated.

It seems, from what I've read, that this whole push is not about equality or fair treatment under the law, which has been readily available in many jurisdictions for many years, it's rather about using government to literally force people and organizations to violate their teachings and beliefs.

Not to mention, if it is a freedom issue, when do we talk about freedom of religion? These types of issues, I believe, are really wedges in the culture wars designed to fracture long standing institutions and families. So, can a gay couple now force a religious institution to perform a same sex marriage? Should they be able to? Do they become a protected minority, based on sexual preferences?

We've seen in Colorado, a baker, some one who does specialized service work for individuals, not a mass marketeer, being told he had to bake a cake for a gay couple, which happened to go strongly against his religious beliefs, he was ordered to conform by the court. He closed his business. Who won? Is it important?

The same thing has been done to photographers, haven't heard of any florists, go figure? I guess if the point is equal protection that's a different issue, in my mind, than re-definition. In practical reality, I think it's dictating to, or really forcing government into the realm of the religious. Can this be the right thing to do?

You hit the nail on the head. I have been trying to tell them that for a long time.

Just wait, we could start seeing white women marry blacks. You're missing the bigger picture here.

That is exactly how the US government first got involved in marriages. Before then, and up until about 1922 for everybody else, the government had no say in marriage in this country. Then they discovered they could make money off selling marriage licenses and the rest is history. You guys go ahead and think you are supporting peoples rights, you are really supporting the government sticking their nose in.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, you've got that almost completely wrong. I'm saying marriage has always been a religious thing and it should remain so.

I don't agree that government has either the right, or the constitutional power, to re-define church teachings in their self styled sense of "fairness".

The idea that government is synonyms with religion was invalidated, at least on this part of this Continent, a couple hundred years ago. Interesting this government is rediscovering the practicality of dictating to the churches....

Marriage has (at least) two contexts. The federal court ruling here is in the context of legal contracts and recognition. Religion is a valid yet distinctly different context.

I agree with you on the businesses right to refuse service though. That's the pendulum swinging to the other side of the absurdity spectrum. I think, while they are often vocal and get an unfair share of the attention, that the people filing suit against the private business are the vast minority of same sex couples. Most I know would not want to give those businesses a red cent anyway. They (same sex couples) simply want the same legal recognition and rights. They could care less about someone else s' religion affirming or blessing their marriage.

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

You can't imagine how this feels. Even if a person is truly noble of heart and mind. This is a good young man, not stereotypical. That is the only reason I have not disowned her. He is a good black guy trying to make it by the white man's rules - he dresses and acts white, my take on it is that he mostly grew up with white kids. The fault lies with me. I am trying to accept this, but honestly - I'd rather her be gay than do this.

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't get where religion plays into this. Different faiths believe different things and there are certainly religions out there who allow gays to marry. Then again I'm agnostic and people being happy and not hurting others is fine by me.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is exactly how the US government first got involved in marriages. Before then, and up until about 1922 for everybody else, the government had no say in marriage in this country. Then they discovered they could make money off selling marriage licenses and the rest is history. You guys go ahead and think you are supporting peoples rights, you are really supporting the government sticking their nose in.

They (the government) already stuck their noses in though. That ship sailed in the 20s, and again with the 2004 Oklahoma ballot initiative. Doesn't mean inequitable exercising of rights is okay because of the 90 year old circumstance.

dugby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The government just needs to get out of the marriage business, the smoking business and the farming business to name a few. They turn about anything they touch into a big lopsided mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom