Oklahoma Budget Crisis

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mkokc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My mother in law has been a teacher in Oklahoma for 36 years, the 9 month a year pay scale subject is not as it seems, yes, if they want to be paid in the summer time they have to work extra jobs, but the salary they make, well trust me when I say that they put in more hours than most of us here do in our jobs, their salary has always been low, and it's a wonder how this state is able to keep some of their better teachers, the problem with the budget starts at the top, not where it's being cut down to nothing now, as it sits today a lot of the teachers in the area districts have to come out of their own pockets to have certain supplies in the classroom for their kids, schools have no extra money to pay for some items that are needed, education has been falling in Oklahoma for many years and for some folks it's just now starting to be apparent, looks where Oklahoma is on the national scale of test scores, it's no coincidence that the teachers we cannot keep in this state go to states with higher test scores. Oh and to the ones that think a teachers retirement is a awesome thing, there's a reason my mother in law is still teaching after 36 years, plain and simple she would have to completely get another job once she's retired just so she would t go broke

Grendel

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oklahoma has the worst schools (with the lowest teacher pay and per student spending), the worst roads and bridges, the most incompetent local and state governments, one of the highest teen pregnancy rates, some of the highest meth and marijuana usage, the least amount of arts and entertainment options, and the worst economic opportunities in the entire country.

Cutting expenses even more will accomplish one thing: we will still the worst at everything in the country, just by a larger margin.

If the legislature wants to cut expenses to make up their $1.3 billion short fall, they should start by laying off themselves and all of their staffers.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree, the problem with education is at the top. The amount of money spent on education is not being effectively managed by those at the top of our education system. THEY need to be held accountable.

As for the state budget, I'm all for a tax hike referendum on a state ballot. "Should the state legislature and office of the governor fail to anticipate and prepare for any annual budget shortfall, the effective state tax rate for the governor and ANY member of the state legislature during that fiscal year shall be 90% of any income earned during that year. Additionally, the governor and each member of the legislature shall undergo a full forensic tax audit for that period, which shall be published as a public record at the conclusion of said audit."

Think we'd have any more budget shortfalls?

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh and to the ones that think a teachers retirement is a awesome thing, there's a reason my mother in law is still teaching after 36 years, plain and simple she would have to completely get another job once she's retired just so she would t go broke
It's all a matter of perspective. From the OTRS client handbook "The System’s 401(a) defined benefit is almost twice as much when compared to the Social Security benefit." and there's also an optional 403(b) tax-sheltered annuity plan available. Some schools pay up to 100% of the required 7% contribution to the 401(a) as well as providing employer-paid health, life, and long term disability insurance(s) - where true it's certainly nothing to sneeze at compared to most private sector and even most other public sector employment.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Public Education administration needs a hard look. I have to wonder how Oklahoma compares to other states as far as percent of public ed budget going to administration.

Vo-Tech likewise does not not seem like a productive program.

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Honestly I have met a few teachers that seem to be just a step above illiterate. I have seen the reactions when testing of teachers
Right, because everyone needs to go to college and become an engineer or a doctor. To hell with the people who want to do anything else for a career.

If everyone is an engineer soon the fella that knows how to run the equipment to install a pipeline will be at a premium. :)

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont know how much things have changed since my wife was on the school board, but any teacher that spent any money out of pocket was reimbursed, all that was needed was a receipt.

Now as for myself and teachers pay, some are not worth minimum wage.

Sadly I have met more than a few that made me wonder who they slept with to get through college. Two I knew were just about a 1/2 step above illiterate. That is just sad. Is this why when the subject of testing teachers comes up all hell breaks loose?

Now before typing out the reply, I know these types are few (I hope) but they sure do a disservice to the other teachers and truly impact the students in a negative way.

Grendel

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now as for myself and teachers pay, some are not worth minimum wage.

Sadly I have met more than a few that made me wonder who they slept with to get through college. Two I knew were just about a 1/2 step above illiterate. That is just sad. Is this why when the subject of testing teachers comes up all hell breaks loose?

Not a single one of our elected leaders in the state, at any level, are worth even paying the current minimum wage to. They are, without exception, all total and complete imbeciles. Everyone that I have met are actually, totally and completely illiterate. That's why they always travel with some staffer, to do their reading and writing for them.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When an inordinate amount of money is coming is say...to my family, set a good part of it aside for hard times and continue with the present income. But politicians spend as they receive taxes and when hard times come they have nothing to fall back on. The Rainy Day fund is exhausted and they (we're) in trouble. Just like Washington DC, spend more than incoming revenue and borrow from China to pay the bills.

Latest posts

Top Bottom