Oklahoma City Council gives streetcar route the go-ahead

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Oklahoma City Council on Tuesday agreed on a route for the $94.4 million downtown streetcar, one of the biggest of the voter-approved MAPS 3 construction projects.

Voters approved MAPS 3 in 2009, agreeing to a penny sales tax increase to promote economic development.

The 4.6-mile modern streetcar line is to run in a loop through Oklahoma City's central business district. It will tie together the fast-growing MidTown business and residential district and the Bricktown entertainment district.

Coupled with the Bricktown Landing boat dock and trails, the streetcar will create a link — via rail, boat, bicycle and on foot — to the Boathouse District and beyond, opening the Oklahoma River to further development.

“I think it will kick off the next 20 years of growth in our city,” said Nathaniel Harding, chairman of a MAPS 3 streetcar advisory panel that worked several years to craft the proposed route.

The route would connect downtown's transit center, Automobile Alley and MidTown, the planned MAPS 3 convention center, a new transit hub at the old Santa Fe Depot, and the Chesapeake Energy Arena, home of the NBA's Thunder. Tracks would come within a block of the planned MAPS 3 downtown park.

For entire article: http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-council-gives-streetcar-route-the-go-ahead/article/3886343

I've never really like the idea of mass transit in OKC before. But with all the new development down there this is beginning to make sense.

JxxxOxxxE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
my brother showed me a pic of the canal area in 1995 and a current pic, it really has come a long way downtown...

Im ready for the whitewater rapid course...

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
An absolute waste of taxpayer dollars. They should invest that money in sidewalks, new busses and covered bus stops throught the entire metro area. So many other areas that attention instead of a street car. Even when I lived there I seldom went downtown and still won't when I come to visit. Keep the streetcars in San Francisco on the Rice-A-Roni commericals.

SoonerBorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
An absolute waste of taxpayer dollars. They should invest that money in sidewalks, new busses and covered bus stops throught the entire metro area. So many other areas that attention instead of a street car. Even when I lived there I seldom went downtown and still won't when I come to visit. Keep the streetcars in San Francisco on the Rice-A-Roni commericals.

It's a consumption tax so they certainly have a choice whether to pay it or not. As a taxpayer, I can't really complain about having a choice. When you come to visit you are certainly afforded the choice of purchasing items outside of the city limits.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I liked the streetcars in Portland for the most part when I was up there for a conference. Didn't have to have the valet retrieve my car, and didn't have to worry about finding parking.

If I'd flown in instead of driving, it would have been even more convenient since they have a line that runs out to the airport.

There was a guy complaining about "why should we pay for something that only the tourists will use"... I think he needs to stop and ask himself how money flows into a city - it sure isn't from locals.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess with all apartments & condominiums being built down there it might actually see some use.
Appears that and tourist are the target audience for this thing.
Young groovy hip singles.

I've rode street cars in several large metros and have found them to be adequate for what they are.
I think the subway in DC during the daytime is probably the most efficient way to get around.

Latest posts

Top Bottom