MAPS Good for OKC or Enough Already?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should MAPS projects continue as proposed each year for the betterment of OKC?

• Total voters

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I'll probably vote no as well. It might be different if we were voting on each "project" individually, but to put up 16 projects with no option to vote no on a few of them convinces me to vote no on all of them.
That is my problem with this as well, I have voted yes on all the others but this one just has too much pork.
Several items on the list make sense but how many times do tax payers need to pay to upgrade Chesapeake arena that thing is pulling in money hand over fist!! At what point does it self sustain!!

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will say this as a lifetime Tulsa area resident. 30 years ago we joked OKC was the biggest truck stop in the USA. Now there is no comparison OKC has surpassed Tulsa in so many ways its not fair to OKC to even have Tulsa in a discussion with it. Looking in from the outside, I would say MAPS being successful was one of the major reasons there is such a disparity between the two now. Our Vision bonds were all about making the fat cats fatter on the tax payer dime and it shows sadly.

Last edited:

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll probably vote no as well. It might be different if we were voting on each "project" individually, but to put up 16 projects with no option to vote no on a few of them convinces me to vote no on all of them.
This is a very valid position and illustrates that there's more than one that's valid.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m a “no”too; like others, I don’t like the lumping together of all these projects. I’d like to see a cafeteria style vote, with funding going only to those winners and no money poured into projects the voters don’t support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will say this as a lifetime Tulsa area resident. 30 years ago we joked OKC was the biggest truck stop in the USA. Now there is no comparison OKC has surpassed Tulsa in so many ways its not fair to OKC to even have Tulsa in a discussion with it. Looking in from the outside, I would say MAPS being successful was one of the major reasons there is such a disparity between the two now. Our Vision bonds were all about making the fat cats fatter on the tax payer dime and it shows sadly.
I have to agree. From a town with only one hitching post to tie a horse to for entertainment and dining, we are drawn to and spend our tax money in the bricktown area. I think it's amazing how the old downtown area has been revitalized into a modern part of society for the tourism dollars that it brings in.
I get tired of hearing how backwards Okla is, and IMHO the MAPS projects have put OKC on the map.

Back to Blake711, the Gathering Place has been a heck of a deal for the Tulsa area, but it doesn't bring in tax money to the community from outsiders like us.
The New river parks in Sand Springs is an incredible place for the community. We toured it last week and just wish our community had a great place like that for it. But again, it isn't bringing in tourism and the money that brings with it, so I see your point.
The ONE thing that keeps me out of the Bricktown area occasionally is the horrendous parking situation. It's tough to find a place to park at busy times. We go early or late.

Latest posts

Top Bottom