MAPS Good for OKC or Enough Already?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should MAPS projects continue as proposed each year for the betterment of OKC?

• Total voters

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know a lot of you don't live in OKC but I would still like your opinions.

An overview:
MAPS 4 is a debt-free public improvement program funded by a proposed temporary penny sales tax, which would raise a projected $978 million over eight years. It requires approval from Oklahoma City voters in a special election on Dec. 10.

MAPS 4 would keep Oklahoma City’s sales tax rate unchanged. The tax would take effect April 1 when the Better Streets, Safer City temporary sales tax expires.

OKC MAPS 4 Projects
https://www.okc.gov/government/maps-4/projects

MAPS 1,2,3, now 4.

I will never say MAPS projects were all good or all bad. I will say several things. Overall, I would call most of the MAPS projects have really helped OKC. One small example was the concrete ditch with a boat in it downtown was ridiculous. Now, it is a full blown canal with several boats in it. It is interesting but still nowhere near San Antonio's.

MAPS was one deciding factor that really helped Bricktown urban renewal which in turn helped the Seattle Sonics to relocate as the OKC Thunder. Hurricane Katrina helped to prove we could put butts in seats for a pro franchise and MAPS projects proved we weren't a stagnant city but could grow.

As with any good bureaucracy once they get a taste of money they have to use it or loose it.

MAPS 1 was a finite project paid for by an expiring tax increase. OKC prospered by these projects then MAPS 2 came along. The people were already paying the tax and felt no great financial burden so why not keep the gravy train going?

I personally think each project should be individually voted on because it looks to me some people have favors to return or little pet projects that need some money.
Here are three examples of these in my opinion.

Please vote on your opinion in the poll.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It has a place but too many people will just keep voting it through. It was supposed to build and beautify and increase tourism but it's done that and it seems like now they are just milking the teat for all it's worth. Too many people are wanting to fund things that are privately held. As far as the arena and things like that where tickets are sold if they don't make enough money to keep the buildings up they should figure out how to make that happen. For one increase the price on those box seats by 100 bucks each and the ones closer down by ten bucks a piece. Over a season the upgrades are covered. The fairgrounds are another private entity that has a sole purpose of holding and maintaining the fairgrounds. Why is the city dumping money into it? The money should be earmarked for city only projects, sidewalks honestly should be in place and are usually land owner funded, if they did exist and are ran down the owner needs to fix them up or they are assessed on to their taxes till the upgrade is paid off. If they did not build when it was required they get the same. If it wasn't required for some asinine reason they are informed that they are no longer grandfathered in to not being required and have 3 years to install them. That is how it is done in most area's. And how many stadiums does the city really need to fund?

I dont' live in OKC but it seems like funding every pet project that comes along is becoming the norm. If you are not a city employee working in a city building then there should be no taxpayer funds involved in your building to keep it going. If you can't swim then it's time to sink and move someone else in who can swim.

filbert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All about Chesapeake Arena and pro sports. The biggest amount of money is going to the arena, then you build a stadium, add to fairgrounds arena, what about future updates, and maintenance costs for these building? The homeless, just google Seattle and San Francisco, and how much money they have spent on homelessness, and the problem got worst. I don't live in OKC but I buy and go there for entertainment and pay sales tax, and care about how the money is spent. And this is for 8 years, and it is dedicated to these projects, what if something else comes up that we need or want? I don't know, none of these projects are life changing, or that we will look back and say we did this or that. Just blowing money as far as I am concerned, maybe creating some jobs for awhile.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The new trolley system looks to be a boondoggle of an epic sort. Improvements and upgrades can be good...….though, not always. On the proposed list, in my view, about 1/3 of the projects would be worthwhile.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
This is getting old and some of the projects they are wanting to fund are redundant and really need those funds in the programs already in place . We have enough bureaucracy without doubling down!! I will be voting no !!

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There's been a helluva benefit to OKC from MAPS. It's very easy to focus on the price tags and the fact that it's tax funded. It's also easy to completely miss all the rest of the money that pours in from people hitting bricktown and eating a meal, taking in a game, then having a beer afterwards. That's real money ya'll, it's substancial and it ain't from taxes.

I'm usually the first to nix the idea of a tax increase. But this is a sales tax and it's voted on by the people. It's not stuffed down anyone's throat like other taxes. I remember what downtown OKC was like before MAPS and it wasn't pretty. That said I can understand why people are upset about a "temporary" sales tax increase lasting for what seems to be perpetuity but again, it's being approved by the people who are paying it. I'm OK either way with MAPS 4 and if I were able to vote on it I would probably give it a thumbs up because overall the MAPS projects have been good for OKC.

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm voting no. They try to convince people that there will be not be a tax increase, well that is true BUT if it does not get passed there is supposed to be a reduction!

Latest posts

Top Bottom