Oklahoma legislators to get 35 percent pay raise

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While I agree, thinning the administrative positions in OK schools wouldnt buy a biscuit in the overall picture of our state budget. But its a small headway. It actually would pay for even one new bride project at ODOT. Well maybe one small bridge

But would it pay to fix the elevated, bumpy rolling creek turnpike in Broken Arrow? LOL

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is easy for us to decide what needs to be consolidated, not knowing any of the details of each district. The problem comes in when we begin to understand the differences between districts. Plus, it's like term limits, "you other districts need to consolidate, but mine is just fine the way it is."

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
You cain't use public money because guys like Clay are busy burning all it to warm they feetes with, damnit!
yes, I do burn it, making highways to better serve your azz and they pay me for that so I can warm my feets.
I bet I've spent over $100 mil on estimates for project I've scoped in 2019. And its been a slow year.

Riley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know what they're defining as "service agencies," but there are a grand total of 58 vo-techs and charter schools in the state (29 of each). As noted in the article, that still leaves over 500 school districts in Oklahoma.

Looking at the chart here: https://oklahomawatch.org/2016/03/06/school-superintendent-salaries/ , we see that Woods County (where Freedom is located) has three superintendents for about 1,300 students (as of 2016). That is a job which should easily be doable by one superintendent (much larger districts are run by one superintendent), which would result in savings, as you would no longer be paying someone to be both superintendent and principal...

Checking Wikipedia, ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woods_County,_Oklahoma) we see that Woods County is 1290 square miles, with a population density of about 7 people per sq mile, or 639 acres if its an easier visualization. Also that there are 3 "cities", 2 towns, and 4 unincorporated communities. The three cities, Alva is on the eastern side of the county, Freedom the smallest, on the west, and Waynoka to the south. I don't find reference to the presumed "double, triple, or quadruple dipping" of the superintendent despite wearing multiple hats.

Again referencing Wiki - "The median income for a household in the county was $47,255, and the median income for a family was $60,500." For Freedom specifically, the population of 307 in 2015 is slightly more that it was when incorporated in 1925. "The median income for a household in the town was $36,250, and the median income for a family was $38,500."

As I mentioned previously, I believe the costs of any district consolidation to be shouldered would land squarely in the rural community, without improving classroom spending in any appreciable way.

Lets talk instead about getting Tulsa's FY19 revised budget of 636 Million, admin costs of 3.5% down to OKC's 2.5% for administration. FYI that 1% savings takes Tulsa's admin to 15,900,000 instead of 22,260,000. A savings of 6,360,000!

That would make a real difference!

Latest posts

Top Bottom