Oklahoman Legislators Pass Harsh Hashish Law

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ridge, you have a talent for being oblivious to much but your own comments sometimes. I have repeatedly said in numerous posts that I cannot stand either the Republicans or the Democrats. However, on the state level, I think Democrats in Oklahoma are less dangerous than the Republicans. You only need to see how many of the idiotic laws they pass are tied up in court. Yet, they just keep on.
What boggles me mind is that good, decent, working people keep electing these guys over and over, even though it is abundantly clear these folks are squarely in the camp of Big Business.
Ridge, go ahead with your snarky comments, but time is going to prove me right on this one. But before you, or anyone else hammers me about tort reform, let me say: One, it is true tort reform will hurt me a bit, but not so bad, as I saw this coming and a large portion of my practice is federal and out of state now.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You should check out the dumptruck lawyers who are eying positions as elected judges.
You're too quick for me.

My point was the 'tough on crime' notch is what helps get politicians elected in states like Oklahoma.

It's simple, easy to remember, doesn't require a lot of thought on the part of voters, and fits in a 30 second soundbite on TV.

Some of the blame must fall on the voters who fall for those tactics every single election.l

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My point was the 'tough on crime' notch is what helps get politicians elected in states like Oklahoma.

Or does it?

I could point you to ~80 or so potential voters who don't vote based on one single issue: asinine drug legislation. That's the reason they tell me they don't go to the ballot box.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Politicians like trite things like a "tough on crime" stance because they think we are stupid enough to be bought with cute catchphrases about family values, education, dem takin' err jobs, safe streets, etc. And they're right.

"We put bad people in jail so Oklahoma families like mine can play on the swing set in the park at sunset and smile at the camera without fear of bad people. Vote for me."

I have to admire people like Veggie Meat who can know as much as they do and not give up hope. Personally, I don't see anything changing. Ever.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All I can tell you is this:

Politicians believe it gets them elected and that's all that matters.

That's why they promote 'tough on crime' in their campaigns.
That's why they accuse their opponents of being 'soft on crime'.

Because they perceive it to be to their political advantage.

And you know what? I think they are right

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ridge, you have a talent for being oblivious to much but your own comments sometimes.

Thanks honey, I try.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/openminded-man-grimly-realizes-how-much-life-hes-w,19273/

I'm giving you crap because you're preaching to people who are just as cognizant as you are about how stupid Oklahoma Republicans are. You came in this thread throwing punches at shadows.

And yes I agree that Oklahoma Republicans tend to make asses of themselves in a more grandiose way than the Democrats. My paraphrasing of Sally Kern was not out of respect, just to catch you up.

You have a bad habit of trying to "Republicanize" every poster in every thread. It ain't me babe, it ain't me you're lookin' for.

Ridge, go ahead with your snarky comments

I'll see what I can do, for you JB. I'm a bit rusty.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And you know what? I think they are right

They're only right about it because a true alternative isn't offered.

If someone had the balls to run with Victimless Crime Reform as one of their planks, I'd bet it'd be a good race with a higher than average turnout in that district. Would they win? Probably not the first go round - the people with deep enough pockets to fund a campaign need to know that a platform is viable.

I don't know about your area, but mine costs ~$20/vote to out-market the "politically acceptable" D and R candidates based on their C1-R's.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They're only right about it because a true alternative isn't offered.

If someone had the balls to run with Victimless Crime Reform as one of their planks, I'd bet it'd be a good race with a higher than average turnout in that district. Would they win? Probably not the first go round - the people with deep enough pockets to fund a campaign need to know that a platform is viable.

I don't know about your area, but mine costs ~$20/vote to out-market the "politically acceptable" D and R candidates based on their C1-R's.

Well, IF they run I will probably vote for them, IF they run.

I'm afraid you are a bit more optimistic than me.

Who know though, Oklahoma once elected Fred Harris to the US Senate so nothing is written in stone.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What boggles me mind is that good, decent, working people keep electing these guys over and over, even though it is abundantly clear these folks are squarely in the camp of Big Business. .

You ever see the Andy Griffith where Aunt Bee buys the magic elixir from the snake oil salesman and all it does is get her drunk and a playin' that piana to beat the band?

Just because you make a good apple pie doesn't mean you're not a bit dense. After all Andy, that salesman was such a nice man.

But before you, or anyone else hammers me about tort reform, let me say: One, it is true tort reform will hurt me a bit, but not so bad, as I saw this coming and a large portion of my practice is federal and out of state now.

Damn, I was just about to do that JB, but I have to make posters. I'll be at 71st and Memorial tomorrow protesting against brown people and science being taught in public schools like I do at lunchtime every Monday. Come by and see me.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, IF they run I will probably vote for them, IF they run.

I'm afraid you are a bit more optimistic than me.

Who know though, Oklahoma once elected Fred Harris to the US Senate so nothing is written in stone.

Think about this: Ron Paul's 2008 run in the GOP primary, especially the debates, did at least get people to think about what was being offered to them as candidates for President. That resulted in the Tea Party movement making demands that were very similar to Ron Paul's positions (in the beginning before being taken over by the establishment GOP). The support is there, you just have to show that you're not just another politician. That's what makes me think that Gary Johnson will at least be somewhat viable when it comes time to vote in the primary - he's got the track record showing just that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom