Older Bolt action

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
another vote for mausers ... hard to beat...

my fav is an old Weatherby .270 made in the 50's back when Roy Weatherby was still around... it's based on a mauser action. very smooth action, shooting sub moa

recently scored an old Husqvarna .270 (50's) ...also based on a mauser action. very smooth.. have not had a chance to shoot yet... I'd be really surprised if it didn't shoot good too.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
they both have their advantages, mosin is cheaper with cheaper ammo, and yugo mausers are smoother actions and maybe more accurate, i have one that looks unfired since it left the arsenal, has a mirror bright bore

Jschatz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So what you all are really telling me is I need to request the C&R application and save money while I am waiting for it to come in and then buy several.

This is gonna sound stupid but which ones can have optics mounted on them easily/inexpensively?

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
The cheapest to mount optics on and the one with the most options will be the Mauser type actions. Since they have been used for custom rifles and modified into sporters for the last 100 years there are many many options for optics mounting.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So what you all are really telling me is I need to request the C&R application and save money while I am waiting for it to come in and then buy several.

This is gonna sound stupid but which ones can have optics mounted on them easily/inexpensively?

The K31 will be the easiest one, with a St. Marie side mount, no gunsmithing needed as with the others, and it doesn't affect the gun or its operation.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you intend to use the safety, I would steer clear of the Mosin unless you are prepared to put a loop on the bolt head to enable engaging/disengaging the "strong man" safety. I suspect most folks just don't use the safety. Some are unaware of its existence. CB

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you intend to use the safety, I would steer clear of the Mosin unless you are prepared to put a loop on the bolt head to enable engaging/disengaging the "strong man" safety. I suspect most folks just don't use the safety. Some are unaware of its existence. CB

What are you, some kind of wuss? :D

Seriously, it is a pain.

Fly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Seriously, it is a pain".No it's easy to set the safety.Most Americans never
knew the way the russkies meant the safety to be set.In the USA that type
bolt action safety would be set when the bolt loaded the bullet.In the Molsin
when you load & close the bolt,you then grab the safety at the rear.

Point the rifle in a safe direction.Pull the trigger with one hand while the other holding the rear safety an easy it down.When ready to fire, just
kick bolt up an then cock it once more.That,s the design.

Latest posts

Top Bottom