Olympic AR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought my Olympic and '04 and I've shot thousands of rounds of steel cased, black box wolf thru it.

I clean it once maybe twice a month depending how much I've shot. Never had a problem.

Define "thousands of rounds". 5000 probably won't show much of a difference, but then again, you'd have to be making groups every few thousand rounds to see the difference.

1eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The dealer was talking about steel cartridge casings. He didn't say it would damage the rifle but that I would have some feed issues with it. I assumed it was the lacquer. After reading these replies I ain't gonna worry bout it no more just keep a brush and a bore snake handy. Thanks guys.

JWE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Define "thousands of rounds". 5000 probably won't show much of a difference, but then again, you'd have to be making groups every few thousand rounds to see the difference.

At least 5K. I started buying black box wolf when I was still in the Marines, bought it from Gulf Coast Ammo, I'd buy 1k for $100, I'd buy 2k per check (twice a month) and I'd get 2k shipped to OKC for $225. I had damn near a pallet of that when I got out in Feb of '06.

I think I have 3 or maybe 4K left of that. All I had at the time was that Olympic (I didn't get my 2nd AR till Dec or Nov of '05), and yeah I had to replace the extractor and buffer and spring, I've done that twice I think.

But then again I've clean the crap out of it a bunch of times. Also I wasn't putting it on a bench shooting every single time. So I have no clue how groups could've been affected.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like all good info.

My favorite steel cased ammo is Silver Bear. The cases are coated with Zinc. It's about $.26 / round, a cent or two higher than the polymer coated stuff. It's been more accurate and less dirty than the cheap brass-cased ammo (i.e.: Rem UMC).

ETA: Some people say that steel-cased ammo will wear extractors out faster, but the cost of an extractor over 4,000 rounds is pretty negligible compared to how much money you'll save buying steel vs. brass assuming you don't reload.

I have also had some magazines that didn't like Wolf black box, but fed brass just fine. No trouble with any ammo in quality mags (Magpul, Lancer, etc.).

Latest posts

Top Bottom