Olympics in Tulsa 2024??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I remember correctly OKC hosted the in-between Olympics back around 1985.
I think they're still plugging that financial drain hole today.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think most cities do come up short financially after the Olympics, but the infrastructure remains in place for sporting events in the future. That's where they recoup the money spent.
Two summers ago we were at Whistler, British Columbia where the Winter Olympics were held. There were thousands of people there, eating in the cafe's, doing rides, shopping, etc. it's like a small city of its own.
Btw, there is only one way in and one way out of there. A single 4 lane highway.
I don't think there are huge crowds at the Winter Olympics like there are at the summer events, and Oklahoma is a little lacking for the winter sports. Lol.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I remember correctly OKC hosted the in-between Olympics back around 1985.
I think they're still plugging that financial drain hole today.
Norman and OKC hosted the Olympic Festival in '89, but the "real" Olympics is a whole 'nother ball of wax. The Opening Ceremonies were in Memorial Stadium, and some of the equestrian events were held not far from where I live.

At least OKC would have ready access to the facilities at OU to host the events they can't host themselves. Not to put down the quality of facilities in Tulsa, but I don't think they have any sporting venues big enough for the biggest events, and if they built them, what would they do with them afterward? A Union-Jenks football game might fill an 80K-seat stadium, but what would they do the other 364 days of the year? ;)

mksmth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not a chance. I have lived here all my life and would be proud "if" tulsa would ever become a city that could host something of that scale.

But lets be honest. Tulsa has and probably will always be little brother to OKC and Im fine with. So on that account my vote would be OKC would get one way before Tulsa would.
Tulsa has always tried to match or one up OKC but always seems to fall short. OKC gets NBA, here ya go tulsa have a D-league team with a side of WNBA. OKC builds up their river front, Tulsa can even pass a vote to help keep water in ours. That was a county thing but still didnt pass. Oh and the BOK center seat less people too. Never understood that one. Built when Chesapeake was the old Ford arena but sat less people.

Latest posts

Top Bottom