Olympics in Tulsa 2024??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Built when Chesapeake was the old Ford arena but sat less people.
??? The only difference between the Chesapeake Arena and the Ford Center is the name of the sponsor. It was built new, opening in '02 (with more seating capacity than it currently has), and changed names when the Central Oklahoma Ford Dealers Association decided not to renew their sponsorship...

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I stand corrected, but I just didn't remember the year.
I only remember it because I was working on campus the night of the opening ceremonies, and they (reportedly) had the fuses too short on the fireworks, so they were going off very low over (and sometimes in) the stadium. I went outside and I could literally feel the pressure waves coming off the explosions slamming into my chest; I can't imagine what it was like in the stadium. My car was parked in a lot next to the stadium and was covered from bumper to bumper with the detritus of fireworks (cardboard, spent powder, etc.).

mksmth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
??? The only difference between the Chesapeake Arena and the Ford Center is the name of the sponsor. It was built new, opening in '02 (with more seating capacity than it currently has), and changed names when the Central Oklahoma Ford Dealers Association decided not to renew their sponsorship...

Sorry that sentence didn't make sense. I meant the BOK sat less than the Ford/Chesapeake arena at the time the BOK was new. point being Tulsa seems to fall short sometimes.

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
After suffering through the Olympics in China, I figure Okla has as good a chance as any. OKC would definitely be the better choice. The hotels in Tulsa and in between would support the influx of people. I hope something like this would happen in my lifetime.

Rfcsoulja

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
After suffering through the Olympics in China, I figure Okla has as good a chance as any. OKC would definitely be the better choice. The hotels in Tulsa and in between would support the influx of people. I hope something like this would happen in my lifetime.
I'm not sure people are gunna wanna be spread across the state in order to see the Olympics.

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure people are gunna wanna be spread across the state in order to see the Olympics.

We should have the high speed rail running by then. And I am sure they would have multiple shuttles running daily. The one thing I notice in Oklahoma is, anything over 20 minutes seems like an eternity in regards to travel time. I would bet anytime there has been an Olympics in the States, an hour travel time to get to the Olympic Games wasn't uncommon.

The opening and closing ceremonies seem to be the only time there is a concentrated number of people in one area at a time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom