One way to cut healthcare cost,

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why is it OK for the Brits to abort an imperfect fetus but a crime against humanity when the NAZI's did it.

I am truly confused.

Because Hitler's NAZI's did it to living people with rights. In today's world, fetus' have no rights. Hitler killed people who were already born and had club foot, Autism etc, Brits are doing it to unborn children which makes it OK in the eyes of society. This has me curious though, I wonder what the statistics are on this in America?

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
See Hobbes post. #2 in this thread.

Yeah, I saw Hobbes' article. I was asking you about the article you posted on abortion in the original thread, not the what Hobbes posted about sterilization.

As far as I can tell, the only point the article you posted has is "some women get abortions". That's like posting an article that says "sometimes it rains". What point are you trying to make?

No I am saying that the UK is aborting children to save on healthcare cost instead of taking care of them and dealing with the cost like we do.

Is the "UK aborting children", or are some women in the UK choosing to have abortions?

Pretty big difference in those two statements. Also, correlation does not imply causation. We have no idea why these women had abortions; all we can do is assume. And mostly, why does it matter? As long as the women are not being forced or coerced, I don't see why it makes a difference.

You're implications regarding the reason for these abortions are disingenuous at best.

The Nazi comparisons are not worth replying too. Seriously people? A country where abortions are illegal would be more comparable to Nazi Germany than one where it's legal. The Nazis believed a woman's body was the property of the state too.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does NOT say that part in red in the OP. You assume that.

It could be that parents chose to abort rather than bear the burden and possible stigma.
In China, parents frequently abort female children because they want males. Has NOTHING to do with the cost of healthcare for female children.

See below.

Yay I'm gonna jump into the mess too!!!

While this is possibly the most biased article I have ever read(probably) the OP did read it and it is noted at the end of the article that at least one of the people interviewed shared the same belief...

Agreed.

Yeah, I saw Hobbes' article. I was asking you about the article you posted on abortion in the original thread, not the what Hobbes posted about sterilization.

As far as I can tell, the only point the article you posted has is "some women get abortions". That's like posting an article that says "sometimes it rains". What point are you trying to make?

Is the "UK aborting children", or are some women in the UK choosing to have abortions?

Pretty big difference in those two statements. Also, correlation does not imply causation. We have no idea why these women had abortions; all we can do is assume. And mostly, why does it matter? As long as the women are not being forced or coerced, I don't see why it makes a difference.

You're implications regarding the reason for these abortions are disingenuous at best.

The UK pays for the abortions and the government employed doctors are not only recommending them but performing them, to me that says the UK is aborting them. For the record I am not a real hard anti-abortion person. I do think it is a woman's choice but do not think the government should be using taxpayer money to fund them except in cases of rape, incest, etc. I do feel the father should have some say but only if he is willing to help support the child.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The UK pays for the abortions and the government employed doctors are not only recommending them but performing them, to me that says the UK is aborting them.
Who is making the final decision? If it's the mother or the parents, it's NOT the UK.

Getting abortion facts from the source in the OP is like getting 2nd amendment facts from Sarah Brady.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

http://www.slate.com/id/2216236/
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5953508/ns/world_news/t/china-grapples-legacy-its-missing-girls/

In a 2002 survey conducted in a central China village, more than 300 of the 820 women had abortions and more than a third of them admitted they were trying to select their baby's sex. A report by Zhang Qing, population researcher of the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, said the gender imbalance is "statistically related to the high death rate of female babies, with female death rate at age zero in the city or rural areas consistently higher than male baby death rate." Only seven of China's 29 provinces are within the world's average sex ratio. Zhang Qing's report cited eight "disaster provinces" from North to South China, where there were 26 to 38 percent more boys than girls.

In the last census in 2000, there were nearly 19 million boys more than girls in the 0-15 age group. "We have to act now or the problem will become very serious," said Peking University sociologist Prof. Xia Xueluan. He cited the need to strengthen social welfare system in the countryside to weaken the traditional preference for boys.

If the Chinese government is forcing abortions they sure won't force aborting females because the imbalance of males/females is causing a severe problem in China.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Who is making the final decision? If it's the mother or the parents, it's NOT the UK.

Getting abortion facts from the source in the OP is like getting 2nd amendment facts from Sarah Brady.

Disagree on the first because if the doctors did not recommend them and the government pay for them, there would be far fewer done.

I do agree on the source but like I said in an earlier post, it was the only site I could find with the whole piece and not just bits and pieces. This is being talked about in the UK media and in healthcare circles but you are still missing the point in that this is about how the cost of healthcare is being slanted to make the US look worse then it is. That may be my fault for not being clearer but I figured someone would have picked up on it by now.

To put it simply, if you abort children that are going to have greater healthcare needs it drives down the overall cost of healthcare figures. It also slants the infant mortality rate because many of these kids will die early in life. Same as how the difference in counting stillborns helps make it look like we have a higher infant mortality rate.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

If the Chinese government is forcing abortions they sure won't force aborting females because the imbalance of males/females is causing a severe problem in China.

Hobbes, I agree with most things you post in most threads, but I think you may be off on this one.

The stigma with having a daughter in China is so large, and men considered so superior, that I think the culture and the country simply doesn't care about the disparity in man:woman ratio.

My friend who lived there for several years in the Peace Corps knew of many cases where female children were aborted, or if/when born they simply were disposed of like garbage. The culture breeds (no pun intended) families to want sons.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So basically this thread has nothing to do with healtcare costs, even though that's what the thread title sold it as.

The UK did not encourage these women to have abortions to save on healtcare costs. That's like stealing salt packets from fast food joints to save on your grocery bill. Implying that they did is more than a bit of a stretch.

These women requested an abortion. Nobody made that decision but them. Hopefully. Now if the UK was legally requiring these women have abortions, then you might have something. I feel pretty safe in stating that they ain't doing that.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom