Open Carry Poll

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How often will you open carry?

• Total voters

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
This my take on it.

I like the idea of being able to work in my front yard with an OWB holster or going camping or hunting with one or being able to take my sportcoat off at a restaurant.

Outside that, I think OC in most circumstances is kinda silly but I don't object to someone else doing it just like I don't object to someone buying a silly $4000 watch.

To each his own.

Michael Brown

That's about the way I look at it.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This my take on it.

I like the idea of being able to work in my front yard with an OWB holster or going camping or hunting with one or being able to take my sportcoat off at a restaurant.

Outside that, I think OC in most circumstances is kinda silly but I don't object to someone else doing it just like I don't object to someone buying a silly $4000 watch.

To each his own.

Michael Brown

Perfect construction....That's where I'm at.

Maybe we can start a "people of open carry" thread similar to the walmart deal....capture the wal-mart walker wearing cut-off shorts and a highpoint in a 'tactical' thigh holster on film and post it up!

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I voted never in this pole. Primarily as an answer to will I OC in public. I'll open carry on my own property, while hunting/fishing/hiking, etc. of course. My choice to stay concealed is that, for me, I can get my conceal pistol into action just as fast as I can my OC pistol. Once again, this is for me. I am not in a contest with others on who can get their gun into action the fastest.

As I understand it, there are two areas this law concerns, 1) carrying openly in public and 2) carrying openly on your own property. It seems rediculouse but as I understand the law today, to be legal in our rural state of Oklahoma you can't legally open carry your "snake charmer" when your out in the middle of your multi-thousand acre ranch. As for OC "at the mall." I do think you could be inviting trouble for yourself and the rest of us, but from an oponent that has not been mentioned...the soccer mom. A woman that feels like protecting her children from the gun carrying folks. At least one post in this thread mentioned that his wife is not a fan of OC so he'll remain concealed. This is the soccer mom opponent I am affraid of. This is the person that may be "ridding the fence" on her opinion about gun control. There's a chance that seeing a bunch of folks at Target carrying guns when she is there doing her shopping and she's got little Johnny in the shopping cart. She may choose to jump from the fence into the arms of the Brady Bill folks.

So, for me I choose to stay out of site and out of mind.

Be safe and have fun

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I voted never in this pole. Primarily as an answer to will I OC in public. I'll open carry on my own property, while hunting/fishing/hiking, etc. of course. My choice to stay concealed is that, for me, I can get my conceal pistol into action just as fast as I can my OC pistol. Once again, this is for me. I am not in a contest with others on who can get their gun into action the fastest.

As I understand it, there are two areas this law concerns, 1) carrying openly in public and 2) carrying openly on your own property. It seems rediculouse but as I understand the law today, to be legal in our rural state of Oklahoma you can't legally open carry your "snake charmer" when your out in the middle of your multi-thousand acre ranch. As for OC "at the mall." I do think you could be inviting trouble for yourself and the rest of us, but from an oponent that has not been mentioned...the soccer mom. A woman that feels like protecting her children from the gun carrying folks. At least one post in this thread mentioned that his wife is not a fan of OC so he'll remain concealed. This is the soccer mom opponent I am affraid of. This is the person that may be "ridding the fence" on her opinion about gun control. There's a chance that seeing a bunch of folks at Target carrying guns when she is there doing her shopping and she's got little Johnny in the shopping cart. She may choose to jump from the fence into the arms of the Brady Bill folks.

So, for me I choose to stay out of site and out of mind.

Be safe and have fun
That's a valid concern; the other side, though, is that if she sees people going about their business, being decent and polite (and I've found shooters are more polite than average), it goes a long way toward changing the perception in our favor. I've introduced several people to shooting by being a polite, "normal" person who happened to shoot (and carry) guns. A couple of them have even become instructors and pro-rights evangelists.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This my take on it.

To each his own.

Michael Brown

I wish more people felt this way.

Michael
That is precisely how I feel about it as well. I don't think I will do it outside my own property, but if someone else wants to, fine by me. Whatever rings their bells and all that stuff. BTW, I do support the bill and hope that Gov. Fallin signs it quickly.

Michael, I enjoyed meeting you today and I do hope that you will take me up on my invitation soon.

AtomicTango

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe we can start a "people of open carry" thread similar to the walmart deal....capture the wal-mart walker wearing cut-off shorts and a highpoint in a 'tactical' thigh holster on film and post it up!

Haha, I am certain there will be plenty of tacti-cool airsoft equipment out and about reinforcing all kinds of stereotypes. Responsible citizens will still act responsibly, we just won't have to worry about printing and such as much anymore.

Latest posts

Top Bottom