Ordering a TV online....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AirMech74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any of you guys ever order a big TV online? I'm really tempted because of some of the deals that are out there, but I'm on the fence about spending that much money and having it delivered by UPS or FedEx....I do not have a good track record with UPS ....some of you might remember the rants..lol. Anyways...any horror stories or good outcomes?

Uncle Meat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I ordered a big one thru Amazon. Free shipping.
A local freight co delivered it.
They brought it in, unpacked it, set it up and checked that everything worked.
I was impressed!
There wasn't a scratch on the box. TV was lovingly stowed in their box truck with nothing else rubbing or touching.
I would do it again in a heartbeat!

DPI

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was impressed!
There wasn't a scratch on the box. TV was lovingly stowed in their box truck with nothing else rubbing or touching.

I had a similar experience with another retailer.

OkieChuck

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a 58in plasma from Vanns online. Came on FedEx Freight. There was no set up but the guy helped me get it into the garage. Looked like FedEx took extra care to protect it. Saved about 40% over buying it here. I'd do it again.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I ordered a 65" Mitsubishi from Dell online a few years ago, it was to be delivered by a local freight company I just went to the dock and got it on a nice 65 degree day, because the next day was the february 2011 blizzard! I'd do it again. Just make sure you insure the package if it's offered.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got one of mine from Sears B&M after making them pricematch their own online store. Saved several hundred, though I had to get a manager to do it and authorize the price reduction.

Now I buy all of my TVs from a place near Fayetteville (Nino's Trading) that does open-box stuff. They've been great, and offer an optional in-home warranty which is STILL overall substantially cheaper than anything else I've seen. Saved about $500 off Best Buy's price on my latest (65" Vizio 3D Razer LED), even after adding the 2-year warranty. I think I've bought 4 or 5 from them now.

<edit> They will ship, too.

sixseven

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Print out the page from the website you are thinking of buying it from and take it to Best Buy. I did that with a Samsung 60" LED and they matched the price. It was nice too because the stand was crooked and the TV sat at an angle, so I had a local place to exchange it immediately.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I was impressed!

I also used Amazon with the same results.

okmods

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bought a 65" on Amazon right before Christmas, shipped free. According Amazon it was supposed to be brought in, unpacked, and tested by the delivery company before they left, but the freight people only sent a single 60+ year old woman who did her best to slide it to my threshold. She said she was not allowed to enter the house, so my wife and I pushed it in and made her wait at the door while I opened box, plugged it in, and verified that it would come on before I signed for it. Not too big a deal, but wish Amazon had done a better job letting the freight company know the agreed upon terms. They did know the exact delivery date, though, and called to arrange a four hour delivery window so I didn't have to stay home all day.
I'd buy again from Amazon. I saved hundreds of dollars and no sales tax, only have to pay Oklahoma's "Use Tax" :wink2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom