Overheard at the gun counter....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At Cabela's we had a guy that was going off and slamming his cane on the glass counter, and even admitted to being on drugs (prescription).
And sure enough they let him buy a gun.

Jack Shootza 50

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The version I heard goes something like this...

A guy takes his wife deer hunting for the first time. He puts her in a nice spot and tells her if she shoots a deer, he will hear her shot and will be there as quick as he can.

So he goes a little ways down the trail, and after a little while he hears a shot. So he heads back up to trail as quickly as he can.

As he gets closer to the spot where he left his wife, he hears all kinds of screaming and cussing coming from her. As he gets closer, he sees that she is yelling at and holding her gun on a nervous looking cowboy, who is saying, "Fine lady! It's your deer! But can I just get my saddle off of it??"
I've got a close version of that framed up and hanging on my wall in my gun room.....funny!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
dudes sitting five feet or more behind their trophy.
I have taken maybe 3 photos of the deer I shot.
I really do not care to take a picture of them not even the large ones.
I remember one I shot on a buddies place and he wanted to drag that thing around showing everyone.

I was getting upset because I am a meat hunter and I wanted to get it gutted and on ice.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember one I shot on a buddies place and he wanted to drag that thing around showing everyone.

I was getting upset because I am a meat hunter and I wanted to get it gutted and on ice.
I did hear this years ago at a gun shop in the south (where, like OK, it can still be pretty warm weather in deer season).
An old guy said, "When I hear some hunter say, 'My wife don't like deer, says it tastes too gamey,' I tell the dumb (blank of a blank), Quit driving all over the (blanking) county showing off the deer you done killed. Hurry up and get the meat on ice and it won't taste all gamey like that."

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I did hear this years ago at a gun shop in the south (where, like OK, it can still be pretty warm weather in deer season).
An old guy said, "When I hear some hunter say, 'My wife don't like deer, says it tastes too gamey,' I tell the dumb (blank of a blank), Quit driving all over the (blanking) county showing off the deer you done killed. Hurry up and get the meat on ice and it won't taste all gamey like that."

https://www.uscooler.com/blog/aging-best-deer-meat/
I've always let mine hang for a bit, in a cooler or cool weather. Not in the back of a pickup.

I pay a little extra to let them hang longer when I'm killing a beef as well.

Different strokes for different folks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom