Pancetta Arrotolata

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay. All the pork belly talk got me thinking about what else I could do with pork belly. Since I cook and eat Italian food, I thought I would try my hand at making my own Pancetta Arrotolata. Italian bacon is cured, but not smoked.

So when I went to Super Cao Ngyuen, I asked for a whole pork belly. They trimmed it up and cut into two pieces of about 5 lbs each. One half I used to make Bourbon and Brown Sugar Bacon and the other half I used for my Pancetta.

When you are trimming the skin off a pork belly, I found that my filet knives worked the best.

This is the recipe I followed. When looking for Juniper Berries, Homeland had them for $8 per ounce. Savory Spice Shop in OKC had them for about $2 per ounce.

http://www.ciaprochef.com/fbi/recipes/Dry-curedPancetta.html

So after smashing the Juniper Berries with my meat hammer, I mixed all the spices together and rubbed them into both sides of the pork belly. I put it into a 2 gallon zip lock bag and flipped it every other day until it felt very firm.

After 10 days of sitting in my fridge, I took it out and rinsed it off with cold water. I patted it dry and put it back into the fridge overnight on a rack that allowed circulation. I was then ready to roll it up. But first I sprinkled cracked black pepper on both sides. Be sure you practice your Chef's Knot before you start.

Then it was back into the fridge on the drying rack. I let it dry out and cure for three weeks before taking it out and slicing.

I sliced some and used it to make Pasta Carbonara. It was salty, but not as salty as I thought it would be. I could certainly taste the Juniper Berries, but it wasn't overwhelming.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have to marvel at you folks who go to so much time and trouble to prepare these dishes; I can only assume you're cooking for at least several people so the appreciation is spread around. Cooking for myself tends to steer me toward the fast and easy dishes that can be eaten in less than five minutes while watching the news ;)

Nighthawk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay. All the pork belly talk got me thinking about what else I could do with pork belly. Since I cook and eat Italian food, I thought I would try my hand at making my own Pancetta Arrotolata. Italian bacon is cured, but not smoked.

So when I went to Super Cao Ngyuen, I asked for a whole pork belly. They trimmed it up and cut into two pieces of about 5 lbs each. One half I used to make Bourbon and Brown Sugar Bacon and the other half I used for my Pancetta.

When you are trimming the skin off a pork belly, I found that my filet knives worked the best.

This is the recipe I followed. When looking for Juniper Berries, Homeland had them for $8 per ounce. Savory Spice Shop in OKC had them for about $2 per ounce.

http://www.ciaprochef.com/fbi/recipes/Dry-curedPancetta.html

So after smashing the Juniper Berries with my meat hammer, I mixed all the spices together and rubbed them into both sides of the pork belly. I put it into a 2 gallon zip lock bag and flipped it every other day until it felt very firm.

After 10 days of sitting in my fridge, I took it out and rinsed it off with cold water. I patted it dry and put it back into the fridge overnight on a rack that allowed circulation. I was then ready to roll it up. But first I sprinkled cracked black pepper on both sides. Be sure you practice your Chef's Knot before you start.

Then it was back into the fridge on the drying rack. I let it dry out and cure for three weeks before taking it out and slicing.

I sliced some and used it to make Pasta Carbonara. It was salty, but not as salty as I thought it would be. I could certainly taste the Juniper Berries, but it wasn't overwhelming.

Looks just as good as you would purchase in Greenwich Village, New York City, or North Beach, San Francisco .

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would have guessed the juniper berries would have been akin to smoking with green cedar.

I does look like the fancy market variety, though.

I enjoy making my own BACON, just makes it seem better.

cody6766

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can only assume you're cooking for at least several people so the appreciation is spread around.
Nope. When I was single I'd do it for myself once or twice a week. I put on some pretty decent productions 3-4 times a week now that I'm married. A few hours in the kitchen is a long time for 2 people, but to me it's more about the fun cooking than the time. It's like building something, but in the kitchen and not the garage.

Latest posts

Top Bottom