Pawnee Winter Run n' Gun - 2016

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Any thoughts on footwear? Trail running shoes, trail hiking boots, pointy toed fence-climbing cowboy boots, Flip Flops??????
Weather makes the final choice for me. Merrell hiking boots if it's not too nasty, my cold weather hunting boots if it's bad. Saw some guys in tennis shoes, most seemed to be in some sort of trail shoes. Main thing is make sure they are good for a long walk/run/hike ahead of time. That is not a good day to get blisters.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any thoughts on footwear? Trail running shoes, trail hiking boots, pointy toed fence-climbing cowboy boots, Flip Flops??????

I'd say that completely depends if you plan on running, jogging, run/walking, or trudging it LOL.

TyMD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I usually run in medium height trail running shoes. Give better ankle support, traction and lighter weight compared to boots. My shoes are gortex as well so my feet stay dry as long as I don't stand around in water over my ankles.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would say, regardless of how you plan to attack the course, foot wear needs to be comfortable with a well shaped and supportive foot bed. I prefer a Goretex lined hiking boot with wool socks for most seasons when the possibility of wading in water above the top of the boot is low. Goretex is great until water gets inside the boot.
If this is your first Pawnee, dont forget you have to swim the lower pond in your gear as an initiation.

osupoke

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've run 3 of these in very lightweight running shoes, and 1 of these in basic hiking boots. My feet have seemed about the same at the end of the day no matter what I'm wearing, so I go width whatever's lightest/most comfortable. Meaning I'm going to stay with running shoes unless it's particularly cold and/or wet.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What UMB hasn't said, is that the pond during winter is better than the summer. The summer may sound nice. due to the nice temp, but that cow **** sure does get rank in the warm water. :thumb:

I've used running shoes twice. In winter I wore wool socks (although I didn't need them) in summer cotton. I will use running shoes again, since i train in them. I have thought about betting boots for training but have never followed through.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wore my lightweight trail running shoes with regular thin socks for the summer RnG this year, and ended up regretting it. The gravel road that makes up the biggest part of the trail was freshly bladed the week before, so there was a lot of loose soil with rocks in it. I had a lot of blisters in places I usually don't get them, and was wishing I had something with a little more support. My mid-high hiking boots would have been perfect, with their rock guards, thicker soles, and more padding. It was just so hot that I was trying to go as light and cool as possible. But those boots are awesome. I have used them in a lot of RnGs. They are New Balance 1569s. That is almost certainly what I'll be running in in January. They have goretex too, which, like everybody says, works awesome as long as you don't go in water higher than the top of the boot. So use something else for your pond dunk, lol. :wink2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom