Pellet stove vs wood

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This cold weather has me realizing how unprepared I am if the power was to go out so I was thinking about alternative heat I already have a flue pipe where there was a stove from the previous owner it was disconnected and windows put in but I can fix that I think wood would be better but been reading about the pellet stoves I cut wood already for the garage and if something was to happen where I couldn’t purchase pellets then I would be screwed there I know I just answered my own question but was wanting your thoughts

trickydick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's the possible lack of available pellets, and the fact that they require electricity to power the auger, they're also more expensive. But they only need a 4 inch exhaust pipe and cleanup and starting if much easier.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a pellet stove in my previous house for about 15 years and loved it. The Genset was wired to run whole house so always had power to it. Pellet availability in your area I have no clue but I always bought 2 tons around Oct. (Lowes carries pellets) and stacked em in the garage so always had enough. No mess with dragging logs in the house. no cutting or splitting. My next house will have one as well. Less than $600 to heat the whole house strictly with pellets all season.
And its worth noting, pellets never went up in price more than 50 cents in 15 years and then they went back down.

Last edited:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a wood insert in my fireplace it has a blower on it and will heat the entire house.
Wood is free everywhere if you know how to find it.
I trim trees for people and keep the wood..so basically I get paid to have my fuel to heat the home.
Pine or Fir will leave very little ash.
You can stock up on those when people start building houses. All that scrap leftover from a home build is usually free if you just ask nice for it and stay out of their good stuff.
Many places have free pallets also. and they stack nice.

Harbour freight has a 2000 watt continuous inverter usually can get it for $189 or less.
It will power a mig welder and it will power a fridge and TV with all the video game stuff and the lights in the rooms both are in.

I loaned mine to my son and a battery when the Moore tornado knocked out electricity for 2 weeks at his home.
He hooked jumper cables to the Ford Festiva ran them to the battery and ran the leads off the inverter to the battery. turned off all breakers and made a double male end extension cord.. plugged it into the wall where the Fridge was and powered everything on that circuit.

Too simple really.
I will not buy something to heat my home when i can get good free stuff.
Burn dry wood if you want a lot of heat and a clean flue.

My wood stove is not really very efficient I put a catalytic type in my rental home and that one is very efficient.
Burns 1/4 of the wood to get the same job done.

One very cold winter I went through 10 ricks of dry wood.. a mild one figure about 6 ricks if you do not mind keeping a jacket on inside the house.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don’t plan on using it all the time just in emergencies but another problem is home insurance they asked if the existing flue pipe was hooked up to a stove and we told them no they said it would be a problem if it was

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They may hit you with a higher premium and that would suck.
You can always shop around for different insurance and I would tell your carrier that is your plan to do.
You will be surprised how telling them that makes things go your way many times.

Or ask them see what they can do to make it right.
Both my houses had them and no issues with insurance.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They may hit you with a higher premium and that would suck.
You can always shop around for different insurance and I would tell your carrier that is your plan to do.
You will be surprised how telling them that makes things go your way many times.

Or ask them see what they can do to make it right.
Both my houses had them and no issues with insurance.
Thanks I’ll do that

Latest posts

Top Bottom