Penalty for Spying

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What punishment should spies get?

• 1. Death Penalty

Votes: 97 85.1%
  • 2. Long term prison time

Votes: 16 14.0%
  • 3. Current sentences are fine

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Actually I don't see spying, especially this one on 60 minutes, to be anything other than a death sentence.
I posted in the poll, a long prison term.
The courts have to determine the severity of the crime to impose a sentence.
Thats the way our constitution works. (I do understand there are mandatory sentences.)
I see no difference in a person putting a gun to some body's head, and pulling the trigger vs. giving up information for money/sex/gambling debts/nice homes, etc, that will indirectly cause the lives of potentially millions of people.

They chose to take that route, and they should reap the rewards of being caught.

JRSherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I voted death.

Treason against your country via espionage implies that you no longer care about, or wish to waive, your constitutional rights in my eyes.

I won't say anymore than I can get away with, since I can't prove, disprove, or provide interwebz facts on it, but somehow Russia has managed to obtain details on American submarine sound silencing technology, and is employing said technology. Which basically means a U.S. or British citizen provided that information.

No one cares to admit it freely, and again I don't know if I could provide interwebz proof on it, but Russia has sold nuclear powered submarines to Iran, as well as China. Ergo, our own sound silencing capabilities could be utilized against one of our greatest fast strike military assets.

As someone who spent time on one of those, I'd gladly pull the lever on the platform for any traitor to this nation.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I voted death.

Treason against your country via espionage implies that you no longer care about, or wish to waive, your constitutional rights in my eyes.

I won't say anymore than I can get away with, since I can't prove, disprove, or provide interwebz facts on it, but somehow Russia has managed to obtain details on American submarine sound silencing technology, and is employing said technology. Which basically means a U.S. or British citizen provided that information.

No one cares to admit it freely, and again I don't know if I could provide interwebz proof on it, but Russia has sold nuclear powered submarines to Iran, as well as China. Ergo, our own sound silencing capabilities could be utilized against one of our greatest fast strike military assets.

As someone who spent time on one of those, I'd gladly pull the lever on the platform for any traitor to this nation.

What you say is kinda true.....I have a book, and a buddy from the military that wrote it, the details of how the US sub service basically won the Cold War, by being able to track soviet subs so close that there was the occasional collision. Results of said collisions are still TS, but verifications have proven the reports in the book.
Ships like the "Glomar Explorer" that were on the front page of "popular Mechanics" in the 70's, advertised to be a ship to "explore the depths" were actually paid for by the CIA to recover a soviet sub that was sunk in a collision. Lots of "misinformation" going on in those days.
Our subs, put down on top of the undersea cables that provided communication in the Bearing sea between commanders and their ships, and tapped them, using divers that operated within a couple of miles of their borders, within their territorial waters.
Undersea cables are not used these days, but during the Cold War, everything was used to obtain information.
It was crazy during those days.
Its late, but I'll post the title of that book tomorrow.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At first I thought that the death sentence was too harsh, then thought about it as i waded through the post and i was wrong. The death sentence should be the only option.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seems like that treason is supposed to be death by firing squad. Am I wrong? What happened to that?

I don't know the law but the firing squad has been used in the recent past with Gary Gillmore in Utah.
Don''t know about any other state.

BTW, If I'm not wrong, OK still has the firing squad on the books. Maybe JB could help?

JRSherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We're Amerika now. Welcome to Namby-Pamby-land. Would you like me to hold your hand while you cry about your freedoms?

That's what happened. Saturday hanging death for repeat hard crime criminals? That's too harsh, let's just let them think about it long term while we pay for their healthcare and upkeep, that'll teach them.

On the off chance we ever get back to hanging those who deserve it after due process, I'll finally apply for a job that isn't due to skills I've learned in schools.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know the law but the firing squad has been used in the recent past with Gary Gillmore in Utah.
Don''t know about any other state.

BTW, If I'm not wrong, OK still has the firing squad on the books. Maybe JB could help?

I'm on my phone, so no link, but yes only if lethal injection is found to be unconstitutional.

Latest posts

Top Bottom