Personal Gun Range Guidelines

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AGRANTV

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Are there any kind of guidelines, or even laws, on setting up a rifle and pistol range on personal property?
Does anyone happen to have any reference material on berm heights and that kind of thing?

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In a City entity? If so I’d bet it is a big no no. In the County, then be a responsible shooter and build a safe one if there are no close neighbors and preferably in a direction no homes for a long ways. Build high berms.

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Make sure no projectiles can leave your property. As previously stated tall berms with adequate back stop and possible berms on sides for ricochets.

Another thing if homes are close, this almost got me once. The noise level at the property fence line cannot exceed 85 decibels. Had a new neighbor move a trailer house in 400 yds from my range, putting it close against the fence. The range predated the trailer house's existence, but they tried to get me for disturbing the peace. There is a state law for this. A 375 H&H was 83 decibels at the fence, complaint dismissed.

AGRANTV

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks guys. This seems to be the most consistent data I've found. Even found an earlier thread on this site.

DOE Range Design Criteria says ranges over 100 yards long should have a berm 26ft tall that is at least 10 feet "thick" at the top.

"For open ranges, the top elevation of the earth impact berm should be 26 feet above the range surface for ranges 100 yards long or longer and 16 feet above the range surface for ranges 50 yards long or less..."

"The preferred slope of the impact berm face is 1 to 1 or steeper. The steeper the slope, the more likely the berm is to absorb projectiles. The top should be 10 feet wide..."

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are there any kind of guidelines, or even laws, on setting up a rifle and pistol range on personal property?
Does anyone happen to have any reference material on berm heights and that kind of thing?
The NRA has a website on how to build a safe gun range. Our gun club in Ponca followed it to the T so our liability of errant rounds leaving the range was minimized.

Go to page 76 of this link. It’s specific for Okla.

Attachments

• gun-range-protection-statutes.pdf
    564.7 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Top Bottom