Pete rose

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete Rose in HOF

• YES

Votes: 77 76.2%
  • NO

Votes: 24 23.8%

• Total voters

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seems to me that if they let other rule breakers in, then they should not make rules part of the criteria...

I for one have a bigger problem with those who break the rules with performance enhancing banned substances than I do someone who made bets.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maris hit around .260 lifetime, hit considerably less than 300 dingers and only played for 12 years. Those aren't hall numbers. Yeah, he hit 61 and broke Ruth's record, but he was hitting 3rd in front of Mantle's cleanup spot, so he got to see some pretty good pitches. That's the way it works when you hint in front of a holy terror like Mantle.

Maris has some stuff in the Hall, but he simply didn't post Hall numbers over his short career.

There is ONE thing that is openly talked about in Baseball that is completely taboo, and that is gambling on baseball. Period. You see it every day, on every level where you get paid for playing. You can't bet on baseball. The steroid gang isn't banned, the voters just didn't see fit to put them in the Hall. They will probably eventually be elected, because we are a namby pamby soft hearted society, and sometimes in my opinion we forgive all too quickly.

I'm a baseball guy, always have been. I want Pete in the Hall, but Pete doesn't belong until after he passes. When they put him in, part of his display should address his gambling, because as horrible as it is, it's probably going to be what he is remembered for most.

Now, on another part of this same subject, I had a buddy that got into his man for about $12k on football and basketball. He was telling me about it one day on the golf course, and said he was gonna get square during baseball. I thought about that for a couple of shots, and while walking up to the green, asked him, "Do you think anyone on the planet knows anymore about baseball than Pete Rose?" He of course responded "NO", so then I asked, "You do know he was into his bookie for about $250k while betting on baseball, right?"

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Charlie Hustle put up some incredible numbers during his time on the diamond. I still believe that there are only two records in baseball that will never be broken.

Cal Ripken, Jr's 2,632 consecutive game streak.

And 4,256 hits by Pete Rose.

Yes, he bet on baseball. So what. Players nowadays do worse than that and get to come back after just a suspension and hefty fine.

I say let him in.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Baseball, like basketball, football and other pro sports have been corrupte for years. Its all for play and entertainment. Pre-determined winners and what evers good for the league.

Petes justa pawn and another storyline.

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Every time, and I mean every time, I go to Las Vegas to gamble what one celebrity can I count on seeing? Good ole Petey, and he's signing autographs for money in Caesar's Palace. Can't be helping his image much...perpetuates it, in fact.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom