Pheasant Hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toehanus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any pheasant hunters on here? I'm wanting to get started in it, but not real sure what I need to know. Mainly looking for some general advice. Probably not going to make it out any this season, but starting to look ahead for next year. Thanks,

toe

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Toe, #1. Find a place you can hunt that has pheasant. After that it is just a lot of walking. You can probably find some on public land around Kaw Lake or out at Optima in the panhandle but it is ifffy.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pheasants would rather run than fly. They are hard to hunt even with dogs, as they don't normally hold for the point, although some will. The hens will hold before the cocks. I have Brittany's that will hunt anything, but pheasant will outwit them a lot with their running. The dogs will adapt and learn to trail them, and it won't take long for the hunters to figure out if the dogs head is down, one needs to get on their backside and stay with the dogs. Its not like quail hunting where you mosey along and let the dogs work the ground.
Pheasant hunting in my area(maybe its different in other areas?)
a hunter will be at a fast walk behind a dog trailing a bird, and then take the shot when it flushes. Most of the time they will flush beyond range and all you can do is wish them luck on their journey. Thats pheasant hunting.
Pretty much what I have described is one or two guys with one or two dogs.
The alternative is to take several hunters and form a line across a field, with blockers at the other end. The birds will hold in front of the blockers, and then you have a pretty good chance to get a shot at a bird. In the good pheasant fields its not uncommon to see 10-15 walkers and another 10-15 blockers.
Late season its like you have to set up a tactical manuever, as just the slam of a car door will send them flying 1/4 mile away.
If your by yourself, walk in a lazy S pattern trying to push the birds toward a creek or something like really thick cover where they might hold.
Hope this answers some of your questions:D Good luck!

ENC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We just got back from the panhandle. We use the walk and block method. This year we had almost 20 people. Alot of times the feilds we hunt can be a full section. Bagged 39 the first day, 50 the second and much less the last day was cold and windy. It would be hard with just a few people and or dogs.

Evan

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When we hunt in small groups of 3-7 guys we like to target catch pits and small areas of unusually thick cover. Make sure you put a gun at the far side of the cover you are hunting to catch sneaky birds trying to escape.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Everything I said about pheasant hunting, please disreguard.
I've been out three times now and haven't fired a shot...
We did see birds yesterday afternoon, about 300 yds away and flying as fast as they could.
:(

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Disregard? I thought it all sounded very reasonable to me. Good thing I didn't have time to go try out all those methods. (note the intended humor)

toe

I know what you mean... It tough out there now. My area had floods during the hatch, so the birds are what survived from last season and they remembered their lesson's I guess. Its frustrating to say the least, but I guess we will go out and beat ourselves to death again this coming weekend. Gotta get my dog, Gunner out no matter what. Its what he lives and breathes for. Around the house is is a total suck up, always nudging me for a scratch behind the head, but in the field his eyes take on an intensity that means one thing....show me the birds:D Total business:D The best part of upland hunting is the great dog work.

Latest posts

Top Bottom