Pheasant Hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis,

Do you ever hunt much over at Kaw WMA?

toe

I have somewhat in the past, but in the last couple of years, it has flooded so bad, on the north end where the upland hunting is that they are having trouble getting farmers to contract to plant there, as its normally going to be a 100% loss. I did have an area that I've used the last week or so of the season, but its one of those "extreme" hunts, and the way it looks, we might have to try that this year.

No food, no birds from what I'm hearing. Privare grounds may be different though. Great duck hunting up there this year though. All the millet they planted came up like a freight train, and the duck hunters are reaping the rewards.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
to get started in Pheasant hunting could be tough.

These are just my thoughts. I am sure guys have different ones.

You can drive out west, spend the night, hunt all day, and see one bird, a long drive home. Not worth it to me. just my opinion.

there are some reserves in KS with pretty good results. Wild birds for the first two - three weeks then pen raised that are let out a week ahead of time and provide pretty good shooting. Better than not shooting at all.

Back to western OK -
For one to seven guys - pretty hard to cover those big fields and block at the end. The birds could be there but they run.

We hunt 20 guys in KS and the birds still get away.

Have you thought of ducks? one or two guys, decoys, hunting close to Tulsa and you can find some birds. Be home by 10 am or 11 am and not spend all day walking and no shots as with pheasants.

Deer - a lot of deer around here.

S. Dakota - Some guys say they do good in the Dakotas hunting ditches. My cousin and another friend of mine goes each year to a reserve and they get their limit, have a good trip. Yes it cost some money and takes some time, but again they are shooting.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If your vacation is somewhat flexible, go to Kansas when you see a light snow coming in. Makes the birds hold a lot better. I actually prefer to hunt by myself, but that is just because I enjoy the experience better. Best hunt I ever had was just me and my dog. I went out a few years ago with a bunch of guys and their high dollar pedigreed pointers, and me with my ol potlickin lab. They all kinda snickered at my dog at first. Don't know that I ever saw one bird shot over a pointer the whole weekend. By the time you made it to the dog, that bird was long gone. Georgia works about 10-25 yards in front of me just going side to side. She does better at flushing birds so you actually get a shot instead of just standing there pointing and saying "hey a pheasant WAS here but now it just crossed the road half a mile away." We walked a CRP field and gathered at the end when we met the blockers, the hunt being over and everyone standing there talking. Georgia got birdy all of the sudden and was running circles in front of everyone and all the sudden stopped. I bent down and she had a rooster in her mouth that we had pushed but it had never flushed. No one ever said a word about my potlicker after that. :)

Anyway... don't let people discourage you form hunting alone or without a dog. You'll still be outdoors and enjoying nature. That's what it is all about.

toehanus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you thought of ducks? one or two guys, decoys, hunting close to Tulsa and you can find some birds. Be home by 10 am or 11 am and not spend all day walking and no shots as with pheasants.

Already duck hunt. Just kind of looking for something else to do...as if I don't already have enough.

toe

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Best hunt I ever had was just me and my dog. I went out a few years ago with a bunch of guys and their high dollar pedigreed pointers, and me with my ol potlickin lab. Anyway... don't let people discourage you form hunting alone or without a dog. You'll still be outdoors and enjoying nature. That's what it is all about.

I have a buddy that has two golden labs we hunt with. They don't point, but kind of "get birdy" when a scent is picked up. The one will get on a wounded bird that is running, and we won't see her for about 20 minutes, and then the next thing you know its standing behind us with the rooster in its mouth:yelclap: Great dogs.:D

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Heard of a pretty good trick is to get 5 or 6 cheap radios to play on one end of a field to act as blockers. Then when you get close to the radios get ready.

I've done it, it'll get you by in a pinch but not the same as actual people blockers. Note this: tie some orange flagging tape to the antennas, they're hard to find in tall grass even blaring espanol at full volume.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've done it, it'll get you by in a pinch but not the same as actual people blockers. Note this: tie some orange flagging tape to the antennas, they're hard to find in tall grass even blaring espanol at full volume.

I'm thinking somebody has lost a few radios:sorry1:

BUT! you make me think and sometimes that is a dangerous thing:rotflmao:

We all know Ok is a windy state, and if a person put some of the MO-Jo dove decoys that are wind activated at the end of the field on a stake or something, above the grass, and the wings are flapping, I wonder if that would work as a blocker?:woohoo1:
Just asking, feel free to trash me if you feel its necessary, if my idea sux. Carry on

Latest posts

Top Bottom