Picked up a new revolver today..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I couldnt pass up the price on a new Ruger LCR at Academy. With the sale price I got it for $400 so it was a great deal. I went ahead and picked up some target rounds and some Hornady Critical defense rounds and some Winchester PDX1 rounds.

I plan on trying it out this weekend and put it through it paces and see if it will take over as the home defense weapon for the wifes side of the house.

Funny story though. The Academy on I240 would not remove the trigger lock for me to try out the trigger before buying. Girl told me I had to buy the gun trigger unpulled then once the paperwork was complete and paid for then I could try the trigger out. I reminded her that at that point the gun would not be refundable so I said no go. I was not buying any gun without first being able to try the trigger out.

The store down here in Norman was more than happy to remove the locks so I could try the trigger out so they got the sale. They talked nothing but smack about the I240 sale the entire time...lol

Here is the picture for now. Time to find some speed loaders and a IWB holster. I picked up a Uncle Mikes but I am not sure I like it so far.

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very nice! I've been thinking of picking one of these up myself. Be sure and give us a range report.
On a side note, the Academy sale is awesome! When I was talking to the guys tonight while purchasing my wife's P238 they said they had never sold so many guns and that Academy had never done anything like this in the past. I worked in a retail sporting goods store when I was in high school, and considering the minimal mark up on firearms I'm curious how cost effective it is for them.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like mine. Only down side I see (or can't see as the case may be) is the front sight. Although it is still more visible to my eyes than the front sight on the LCP and other pocket guns I've tried, my 50 year old eyes have a hard time picking it up quickly. Cool thing is it can be replaced easily and I'll do that before too long. I can ALMOST shoot it as accurately with both eyes concentrating on the paper bad guy than I can trying to concentrate on the front sight......certainly quicker with both eyes on the target. Pretty easy to keep all five in the boiler room from 10 paces with both eyes on target shooting quickly.

I have the UM IWB holster. Don't like it. Got a leather crossdraw on the way from Clament Custom Leather. I'll let you know how that turns out.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know. The other day I saw a picture of one that KaBoomed. That means they are all crap and you shouldn't buy it.

Disclaimer: The above is a joke. It in no way implies the true sentiment of "Hawgman" or the official policy of all "Hawgman" offices or affiliates. It is intended for entertainment purposes only and should not be taken as a serious statement.

In all honesty though, that's a killer price. I handled one a while back to try the trigger. Nice, very nice. That new mechansim they engineered certainly works.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Smooths up and gets easier with use too. During first hundred rounds or so I had to make a conscious effort to get my finger off the trigger all the way or it would not "reset"....not sure what else to call it. Now, no worries. Unload five in major hurry if I want. Many hundred down the pipe.

Be sure to get a high grip. Get the soft area on the hogue "back strap" well into the web of your hand. Really helps with control particularly with +P's.

stewartglock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice score man, I really like the looks of those.

I had a situation at one of the Academy stores when buying my 442. The display which was the only one left was listed at the Taurus 85 price. I asked the goob working the gun counter if that was the correct price 5 different times. I told him I didn't want it to be wrong and then try to get charged a different price and assured me it was the correct price. :hyper:

the manager walks me up to the register and it rings up as the correct price, not what I was quoted and I said nope, the guy at the counter assured me it was so and so price. We walked back there, he was pretty disgusted with the salesman, and I ended up getting a hell of a deal. Not my fault the salesman was not paying attention and I gave him the opportunity several times to check it.

So I have a sweet little 442 that I will never be able to get rid of. Only bad thing is it has the lock, but I can handle that for the price I paid.

kalebiscool

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I actually have a friend that had a terrible experience there. We went and tried to purchase those $299 Taurus .40 cal that are 92 knock offs on the same day. i brought mine home, while he had to wait for the Brady office to call back.(always happens to him, but he is too lazy to get a UPIN). I think the law states they have 5 business days to get back with the store holding the firearm and if no call is returned you go pick your gun up at the store. Academy does not abide by this. They will wait until they get the call. To make a long story short it was 73 days before he was holding his gun. he called back every week, and the place on 240 and walker just brushed him off until a month went by and he was told they canceled the transaction and sold the gun to someone else. He was offered the chance to come back in and fill the paperwork out again but they did not offer him the sale price as by this time it had gone off sale. after some derogatory language he did eventually receive the gun for the original sale price. anyway i know it is not academy's fault that a person gets delayed, but they made it a huge hassle. wow... guess i did not make that story short.

Latest posts

Top Bottom