Pin tumbling experiment On peening

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calamity Jake

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"I have been wanting to try a different type sizer die"

I've gone to the Redding bushing neck size die sets with a body die, it lets me control neck tension and I can push the
shoulder back if needed.
Never have used the pin tumbler cleaning method and never will because of penning.
I beleave the penning works hardens the brass.
A citric acid 20 minute bath, a drying and 2 hours in a walnut hull tumbler works pretty good.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anytime you tink on brass -copper or aluminum it makes it harder.
I anneal after each cleaning for all my rifle cases.
Just firing the case will work it more than the pins i would think.

I have done brass fail tests too see how many reloads I can get from a .308 case when FL sizing and the fail point on all cases tested was case head cracks. These were not annealed.

I have been thinking of continuing the experiment with neck sizing only..I get much less case growth from that and went 20 rounds and then lost that case.

The record holder for my FLS testing was Remington .308 case

R-P case went 52 times and seen a case head crack starting.
I shot it 2 more times after that.

54 total times and retired it.

It held together and those last 4 shots made a .802" group at 106 yards.
Not annealed, hand cleaned only. Not trimmed many times either..the cases got pretty long.
Federal- Light Case head crack at 40 Times fired. Shot 42 times and held together (retired).

Lapua - Light Case Head crack at 42 Times fired. Shot 44 times and held together (retired).

Took 160 bullets to finish this testing of 4 cases.

https://www.handloadersbench.com/fo...s-and-brass/36288-another-brass-fail-test-308

Latest posts

Top Bottom