Pistol Brace "rules" signed by AG today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Other than having people register their SBRs, whet if the government’s real motivation behind this is to hire additional ATF employees to process all the extra paperwork? You know, like the 187,000 IRS Agents they “needed” to go after the “wealthy“?

brand0n

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So what about the roni kits? Are you suppose to register the pistol for the kit and then can't sell it because it's registered? Or take it with you as your carry gun past state lines?

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I started on my SBR adventure I was told owning any of the pieces to assemble the SBR before receiving the stamp was also illegal as it showed intent without approval.

From what I have read, which isn’t enough, it sounds like anything other than a pistol buffer tube that can’t be adjusted is going to be the key.
Looks ambiguous based on the net opinions because you can legally buy gun parts. It would seem if selling uppers or parts was illegal that they would shut down the places doing it or only allow them to ship to an FFL just like buying a gun? All the ambiguity is an issue in my opinion; once again glad I have never had any reason or intent to get one of these novelties; sry for those on here who have but I hope the law suits get it all clarified soon.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Because I would like to have a SBR or three anyway and if there is a way to avoid paying the $200 tax stamp, why not?
Yes, that makes sense...there are already millions who have gone through the process to have a can or a "real" SBR...I completely disagree with this decision now on pistols, but if I was ever going to get something like this, I would just get the real thing anyway which would mean having to go through the legal process anyway even before this decision. The real issue here is the "rug pull" for those who have these....imagine if they do this for pickup trucks or something else.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So what about the roni kits? Are you suppose to register the pistol for the kit and then can't sell it because it's registered? Or take it with you as your carry gun past state lines?
That creates a whole other can-o-worms...you could probably get a 16" barrel for the pistol and then only use the roni with the pistol while the long barrel is installed...otherwise don't use it, or use it for airsoft or replica BB guns and forget about ever using for a real gun unless you want to make your CCW a registered sb-rifle. That is if I understand things properly that the gun itself get engraved and not the kit?

Heck just use the braced roni on a replica and then get a stamp for a stocked one for the real gun...then you could train without spending money on real ammo LOL

Last edited:

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
96m25gxug5ca1.jpg

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks ambiguous based on the net opinions because you can legally buy gun parts. It would seem if selling uppers or parts was illegal that they would shut down the places doing it or only allow them to ship to an FFL just like buying a gun? All the ambiguity is an issue in my opinion; once again glad I have never had any reason or intent to get one of these novelties; sry for those on here who have but I hope the law suits get it all clarified soon.
I agree 100%, the ambiguous nature of this whole issue will likely mean the end of my adult Lego adventures. I enjoy the assembling and mechanical aspects more than the bang bang side of the AR platform.

This just adds another nail in the coffin in my opinion, I wish I enjoyed getting rid of the parts as much as I liked gathering them up.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just take the brace off and use buffer tube unless the brace is needed for intended purpose.

Just get a regular pistol buffer tube . . . you can get them for like $20 on RightToBear.

I'm not so sure. They are leaving the door open to even consider the buffer tube a stock (#4 below). I mean they don't define the actual criteria they will use to make such determination but instead give us these "conceptual factors" that they will use. So I guess we are good if they are in a good mood that day?

Accordingly, the Department amends the definition of “rifle” under 27 CFR
478.11 and 479.11 to expressly state that the term “designed or redesigned, made or
remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder” includes a weapon that is equipped
with an accessory, component, or other rearward attachment (e.g., a “stabilizing brace”)
that provides surface area that allows the weapon to be fired from the shoulder, provided
other factors, as listed in the amended regulations and described in this preamble, indicate
that the weapon is designed, made, and intended to be fired from the shoulder. The other
factors are:

(1) whether the weapon has a weight or length consistent with the weight or
length of similarly designed rifles;

(2) whether the weapon has a length of pull, measured from the center of the
trigger to the center of the shoulder stock or other rearward accessory, component
or attachment (including an adjustable or telescoping attachment with the ability
to lock into various positions along a buffer tube, receiver extension, or other
attachment method), that is consistent with similarly designed rifles;

(3) whether the weapon is equipped with sights or a scope with eye relief that
require the weapon to be fired from the shoulder in order to be used as designed;

(4) whether the surface area that allows the weapon to be fired from the shoulder
is created by a buffer tube, receiver extension, or any other accessory, component,
or other rearward attachment that is necessary for the cycle of operations;

(5) the manufacturer’s direct and indirect marketing and promotional materials
indicating the intended use of the weapon; and

(6) information demonstrating the likely use of the weapon in the general
community.

All of the objective design features and factors listed in the rule that indicate the
weapon is designed, made, and intended to be fired from the shoulder are derived from
the NPRM and proposed Worksheet 4999.

Latest posts

Top Bottom