Pistol Brace "rules" signed by AG today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think if you register it as a pistol (taking their $200 amnesty) you still can't put a stock on it. It's being registered as a braced pistol and NOT an SBR.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I was being sorta facetious and vague as they are being, but hey, they’re giving us an out. Put a 16 inch barrel on and you’re good to go.
I agree...however, I also think that this will be either overturned in the court, or next admin will revoke it. I don't see anything about rearmount slings, crutch tips, or straps. Everything they've shown is a rigid metal or plastic form...there are braces that meet the criteria so just hunt them down if you need a brace.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think if you register it as a pistol (taking their $200 amnesty) you still can't put a stock on it. It's being registered as a braced pistol and NOT an SBR.
The NFA has no provision for "braced pistols." The law would have to be amended bu congress to provide that. Therefore, all the AFT can do is to register a firearm as a short barrel rifle.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
The NFA has no provision for "braced pistols." The law would have to be amended bu congress to provide that. Therefore, all the AFT can do is to register a firearm as a short barrel rifle.
What they are saying is that braces are stocks. But, if you decide to register your braced pistol as an SBR because you can't do without, then once it's registered, put a real stock on it.

I don't see a requirement for a fee...it looks like an amnesty registration so this might be a good opportunity to get a couple SBRs out of the deal without paying and waiting. Just a thought.

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

I like rimfire and rimfire accessories. Yup. Mmhmm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What they are saying is that braces are stocks. But, if you decide to register your braced pistol as an SBR because you can't do without, then once it's registered, put a real stock on it.

I don't see a requirement for a fee...it looks like an amnesty registration so this might be a good opportunity to get a couple SBRs out of the deal without paying and waiting. Just a thought.
Someone on a different thread a few weeks back was adamant that they withdrew the "free" amnesty period and that it was gonna be $200. I'll see if I can find it but it's still just forum heresy without documentation.
Prob one of these
https://www.okshooters.com/threads/...g-rid-of-pistol-braces-before-december.342898
https://www.okshooters.com/threads/is-the-atf-planning-a-pistol-brace-amnesty-registration.340730

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom