Pittsburg County man indicted for illegal sale of firearm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

filbert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I am not mistaken, you can sell a rifle to a resident of a bordering state. But no pistols can be sold to out of state resident's. Please post if I am wrong. If not I just wanted to clarify the law.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No, you can't. You can only sell privately to individuals in your state of residence.

To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA?​

A person may transfer a firearm to an unlicensed resident of their state, provided the transferor does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the transferee is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under federal law. There may be state laws that regulate intrastate firearm transactions. A person considering transferring a firearm should contact their State Attorney General’s Office to inquire about the laws and possible state or local restrictions.

Generally, for a person to lawfully transfer a firearm to an unlicensed person who resides out of state, the firearm must be shipped to a federal firearms licensee (FFL) within the transferee’s state of residence. The transferee may then receive the firearm from the FFL upon completion of an ATF Form 4473 and a NICS background check.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I am not mistaken, you can sell a rifle to a resident of a bordering state. But no pistols can be sold to out of state resident's. Please post if I am wrong. If not I just wanted to clarify the law.
According to this you can, but you have to ship it to an FFL in the state where the buyer resides, and they must pick it up and do the 4473 and background check there.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/whom-may-unlicensed-person-transfer-firearms-under-gca
I think, from memory, you can buy a rifle from a dealer out of state, but can only buy handguns in the state in which you are a resident. Only from an FFL, even for a rifle though.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Honest gun owners are the victim. Every time someone does this it fuels the fire for the anti-gun squads. It doesn't matter what you or I "think" the law should be, it matters what the law actually is.

Screw this guy. He's going around flaunting the law and it bit him square in the butt. I don't have any sympathy for someone like this because ultimately he, and those like him, makes it harder for me to enjoy my ability to buy guns. I don't agree with a lot of the rules. But I play by them because I enjoy my freedom. If I weren't going to play by the rules I sure as hell wouldn't advertise it.

And make no mistake.... I'd like to see the AFT and a lot more federal law enforcement organizations completely dissolved or, at a minimum, reigned in. They abuse their powers far too often, they make "law" in the form of rule changes and their leadership are nothing more than political "yes men".

Well, by your logic, escaping slaves were wrong as well.

Just because something's a "law" doesn't mean it's right.

If a law is unjust, or violates the constitution, one is only compelled by force to comply with it. No moral obligation at all, IMHO.

I bet the ATF has created more victims than this guy ever did, how about "screw them"?

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, FFS, dude... Are you seriously comparing today's gun laws with slavery? There are legal ways this guy could've acquired and sold his firearms and NFA items. He apparently chose not to play by the rules. Not only that, he went around and was apparently very open about it. You can admire an alleged criminal all you want. If he did the things for which he was jailed, I won't care that he was punished and I won't have sympathy for him. Furthermore, he's going to have his day in court. A runaway slave didn't have that opportunity. And, BTW...slavery was abolished 160 odd years ago.

And you know what? You go ahead and ignore those "unconstitutional" laws. Don't comply. Knock yourself out. You can tell me how morally superior you are from prison.

Just to be clear...I think there should be only a handful of gun laws. I think about 99% of them BS. But you can bet your butt I'll comply...because until someone becomes the test case and challenges them in court and wins, the law ISN'T unconstitutional in a practical sense. Nobody cares that you don't think it's fair or just.

I bet the ATF has created more victims than this guy ever did, how about "screw them"?

Yeah...did you not read what I wrote about the ATF and most other federal LE agencies? The ATF could be abolished and every one of them put out of job and living under a bridge. It wouldn't hurt my feelings. Personally, I think the FBI, as an organization, is far more corrupt than the ATF.

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When my brother sent me my dads 30-30 it went to my local FFL, and I did a BGC and paid the transfer fee. A rifle can be taken directly to FEDEX etc to a FFL, but a pistol has to go FFL to FFL.

Latest posts

Top Bottom