Po' folk food

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMD

I came, I saw, I made it awkward
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was digging through my freezer. It needed a defrost, so I emptied it and left it open a few hours till all the ice broke away and got it cleaned out. I found a left over ham bone, no idea when it was dropped in there, plenty of meat left on it. I dropped in a crock pot on high with some pinto beans, salt and black pepper. Wife made some corn bread, ******* what a good Saturday afternoon. Before I knew it I had all my kids over, they all brought sides. DIdn't plan this out, just cook good food and people show up.

What do you all think of as po' food that always draws a crowd?

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Big pot of ham beans like you described.

I’ll often do a Cajun bean soup mixed with whatever leftovers/veggies are in the fridge.

Big pot of chili made with dried beans and home butchered lamb or venison

We make lots of rice dishes too… fried rice with whatever protein and veggies we have on hand. Etc

That’s one great thing about the USA is our access to food. Even being “poor” my family has never came close to being hungry…

I also find it ridiculous how many people with all their needs met are still considered so “poor”… “poor” as in can’t afford a $600k house, 2 $80k vehicles, and 2 family vacations a year… hmmm, nobody just wants to live simply anymore

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't had a big ol pot of beans and Jiffy cornbread in years. I never really was a big fan (blasphemy, I know) but my mother in law made the best ever. I miss her. She and I were buddies, which is odd, but yeah, we was.
Lose the jiffy and just make it from scratch so it actually tastes good :)

I hated beans and cornbread growing up. It is so bland. I discovered my mom just made plain pinto beans and jiffy. I made it for her, along with Mac and cheese, and collard greens for mothers day. She tried my cornbread and threw away jiffy. She still likes bland, steamed beans though.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom