Po' folk food

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I haven't had a big ol pot of beans and Jiffy cornbread in years. I never really was a big fan (blasphemy, I know) but my mother in law made the best ever. I miss her. She and I were buddies, which is odd, but yeah, we was.
Lose the jiffy and just make it from scratch so it actually tastes good :)

I hated beans and cornbread growing up. It is so bland. I discovered my mom just made plain pinto beans and jiffy. I made it for her, along with Mac and cheese, and collard greens for mothers day. She tried my cornbread and threw away jiffy. She still likes bland, steamed beans though.

The recipe for corn bread on the back of this is the best corn bread ever.

IMG_1752.jpeg

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't had a big ol pot of beans and Jiffy cornbread in years. I never really was a big fan (blasphemy, I know) but my mother in law made the best ever. I miss her. She and I were buddies, which is odd, but yeah, we was.
I think it can be a great thing. I’m close with my mother in law, and probably even closer with my step mother in law. We actually went out to Shawnee and made her favorite dinner and desert for her birthday last week.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was digging through my freezer. It needed a defrost, so I emptied it and left it open a few hours till all the ice broke away and got it cleaned out. I found a left over ham bone, no idea when it was dropped in there, plenty of meat left on it. I dropped in a crock pot on high with some pinto beans, salt and black pepper. Wife made some corn bread, ******* what a good Saturday afternoon. Before I knew it I had all my kids over, they all brought sides. DIdn't plan this out, just cook good food and people show up.

What do you all think of as po' food that always draws a crowd?
I was raised on home grown food. Mom, and dad raised a big garden, and canned, and later froze, stuff, raised hogs, beef and chickens. Dad farmed and raised cattle, brood sows, and had two commerisal laying houses, back in the late 40's, and early 50"s, likely some of the first in NW Arkansas. when I was small, he cured his on meat, made pork sausage, head cheese, souse, cured hams, bacon, jowls, etc. and was really good at this. A tornado put them out of the farming business, and dad went to work as a meat cutter. We kids wanted junk food, when we rairly ate like that, now we crave REAL food again. I should have learned how to properly cure meat, where it would hold up without refrigeration, when I had the chance. That is rapidly become a lost art, that I fear society could have to re-learn at some point, or go hungry!! They raised a HUGE garden up into their 80's, and gave away what they didn't use. can, or freeze. Kids that were forced to grow up in the great depression, the hard way, learned the very, character, skills, morals, attitudes, work habits, etc. they would soon need to win WW2, and LITERALLY SAVE THE CIVILIZED WORLD FROM LIVING UNDER THE HEEL OF TYRANTS, AND BUTCHERS! that is why they are rightly called the greatest generation, in my opinion!! A statistic I learned recently, that floored me, is, during WW2, America produced over TWO TIMES THE AMOUNT OF WAR MATERIALS, OF ALL KINDS FROM TANKS, TO FOOD, AS ALL THE OTHER PARTICIPANTS COMBINED, ON ALL SIDES!! IS THAT AMAZING OR WHAT?? And at that time most of the young, healthy men, were in the military!!

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Okra, which I despise to this day. Mom was a teacher and Step Father a principal, so not much money for four kids and they had a garden. In that garden were giant high producing Okra plants, which I tried so hard to kill with paint thinner (didn't work). We had Okra, Rice and Sausage constantly that summer. I want to hurl just thinking about it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom