Point Shooting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like more trigger time would help more than about anything else. Get enough rounds down range and you should be pretty instinctive with your pistol. But this is just from some dumb farmer and not an instructor or anything.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The more you shoot a handgun quickly and at varying distances you'll come to realize that different shots require differing levels of respect. Close shooting may just need the back of the slide overlayed on the target while a 25 yard shot needs extreme front sight focus. I can promise you though that bringing the gun up to eye level is not significantly slower than winging rounds from the hip. Get some instruction and you'll see what I mean.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
The more you shoot a handgun quickly and at varying distances you'll come to realize that different shots require differing levels of respect. Close shooting may just need the back of the slide overlayed on the target while a 25 yard shot needs extreme front sight focus. I can promise you though that bringing the gun up to eye level is not significantly slower than winging rounds from the hip. Get some instruction and you'll see what I mean.
Why did the gunfighters of the wild west use point shoot then?

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Agree or not...Point shooting is quite affect and naural for some people. I personally am a horrible point shooter beyond about 12 ft. My brother on the other hand is quite affective to 20 yards and has proven it several times. He has an old .22 revolver with a front site that's been badly damaged (Bent at a 45 degree angle) that is completely useless when attempting to hit a target. He can draw, shoot and hit dang near anything coke bottle size or larger, still or moving 9 out of 10 times.

Jam Master Jay

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is an interesting discussion. When you say "point shooting" are you talking about shooting from the hip or simply not using the sights?

When I practice CCW shooting I don't aim but I do draw and hold the gun in a normal shooting stance. I've found that I can draw either of my CCW guns and hit center of mass at 10 yds without using the sights.

I've seen some of the videos of defensive shooting instructors drawing and shooting from the hip and they just look like a kid playing "wild west cowboy". Seems stupid to me.

Dr_Mitch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why did the gunfighters of the wild west use point shoot then?

Because they didn't know how to shoot. The technique we use currently was developed and perfected between 1980 and 1983. It is not universally applied, as there are plenty of people still imitating Jack Weaver and/or Robocop.

Point shooting is fine within a very short distance. If you practice, though, you can easily get a first aimed shot off within 1 second from a hands-at-sides draw.

When I point shoot the gun is always at eye level, and the shooting is rarely faster than aimed shots, and the grouping is always far worse than aimed shots.

Last edited:

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Did that video actually claim that there was no evidence of sighted handgun fire being used effectively? I guess I should also get rid of my flawed 1911's. I can also tell you that the grip shown in the video is going to reduce your recoil control significantly, and I'd be amazed if it could be used with a revolver of any type.

As to not using the sights but having the gun at eye level, you're still using sighted fire. As you get more comfortable with a handgun your index improves, this lets you bring the gun up faster and lets you just overlay the back of the gun on the target if it's a gimmee shot. Handgun practice may advance from where it is now but that method isn't what we're going towards.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When you have to shoot in a 100' jungle canopy at night with no moon, you'll understand what point shooting is all about.
Early training before getting to that point was done with a BB gun, believe it or not. A helper would throw a metal disk into the air, and you had to snap shoot it. As a shotgunner, that wasn't a big deal with me, but the city boys that had never had a gun in their hands had issues.

Latest posts

Top Bottom