Anyone dumping the dot?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The gun mfrs will find a way to sell pistols without an optic mount as some new fancy "lightweight" option.

And gun buyers will eat it up without realizing it is literally what was the standard all along.
Kind of like selling a rifle without irons and calling it “Optics Ready.”
I’m curious after reading Gideons original post what the CLEET qualifier looks like. He said they start at 25 and go out, how far out? I admit 75 to 100 plus in the shadows is tough with a handgun for myself, and probably a few others dimming with age and definitely caliber sensitive.

No no, CLEET starts at 25 (4 standing with barricades and 2 kneeling) and move IN to 15, 7, 5, and 3.

Glock irons cover the center mass hit box from 25, for me they do so to a degree that makes calling a shot impossible. You can hold irons off by a few degrees and not realize it, or not have the desired POI properly centered.
I basically never miss with irons from 15yrds in, but one or more would slip the line from those 25yd shots, enough that I wouldn’t be confident taking a headshot from that range.

Now that I added the red dot, I can easily hit head sized plates from 25 all day, and torso plates from 50 or more.

What I used to think was a grip problem turned out to just be eyesight and crude sights.

Cdubya

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have spent the last 2 years transitioning to rds with training, competition, and lots of shooting. No going back for me, I'll most likely never shoot any of my iron sight pistols again. To each their own, but I have personally seen below average shooters with irons get a slide milled and go rds and become almost competitive over night. The batteries are now part of my edc, range bags, glove box.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have used them a few times with success. Wish I could afford a decent one for my rifle as the eyes are not as good as there use to be.

cboss

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had a Leupold DeltaPoint Pro in the safe for months without a gun it would fit on...because I didn't want to spend the money on a plate, mostly.

Finally traded today for a Glock 45 MOS. It has a plate and the DPP is now installed. I'm gonna try it again in the next day or two and see how it works.
Interested in seeing how it works for you. I have a G35 I picked up last month that I am still trying to choose a dot for. I wouldn't say I have ditched the dot, I just haven't fully come around to them yet, but that's a practice issue. I have a Swampfox Kingslayer that I haven't zeroed yet that's been sitting on my Beretta APX A1 for months. Maybe this weekend I'll get around to it. Recently my tastes have kinda switched to non-optic cut guns. Picked up a Tomcat last week and am looking at getting a PMR30 this month and an IWI Jericho soon as well. And don't get me started on wheelguns! I have a hankering for a S&W 586 .357mag and a Charter Arms Professional in 32 H&R Mag

Last edited:

TerryP

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here’s a second or third bump for Aaron Cowan with Sage Dynamics.
He has been my go to source for bringing myself along with the dots. He has so much information posted to utube and the newest content has gone patreon exclusive.
He not only can explain the training necessary to make a successful transition into the dot but has hard use tested all of the dots and lighting systems out there.

Cold Smoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went dumbing around the nets looking for something that might fit my thoughts. I came across this by Carver. This is for the Glock platform and I can see how it could be streamlined to fit my needs/wants. With a little refining it could be a carry capable concept. Needs some meltdown work, but with the right materials it has promise. To adapt to the common poly Sigs you would have to produce a modified FCU retention/takedown pin, but that’s not too tall of a mountain. I can see an integrated light adding some rigidity to it.

Attachments

• F1B286BA-68CA-4463-8A6A-AE856BB53CE1.jpeg
    F1B286BA-68CA-4463-8A6A-AE856BB53CE1.jpeg
    77.6 KB · Views: 0

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went dumbing around the nets looking for something that might fit my thoughts. I came across this by Carver. This is for the Glock platform and I can see how it could be streamlined to fit my needs/wants. With a little refining it could be a carry capable concept.

The issue with frame mounted optics is that the frame flexes under recoil and torque but it shouldn’t be so much that you’ll miss entirely.

Good luck finding a holster for that, though.

I got a cheap Aimsurplus Glock 17 RMR cut slide on sale and it fits any RDS capable holster.

ALG doesn’t make the Six-Second mount anymore but those looked fun. I should have got one when they were new.

Latest posts

Top Bottom