Anyone dumping the dot?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have not. I will have to try. Mine is very extreme and is beyond surgery help. Thanks.
I'm right there with you. My eye doctor put me in Sceral lenses that are custom. I'm see about 95% dot vs a giant 20 MOA starburst with my glasses or soft lenses.

Another option are the Trijicon Fiber Optic RMR's. You'll see a dot as there is no electronics. I don't like them because of the lack of brightness indoors with hit when God's light though.

Last edited:

alnpar

Old Truckers Never Die
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In my experience, the Mark IV is the weapon least likely to need a red or green dot. It is a remarkably accurate handgun right out of the box. I point and it shoots where I point. JME.
Unfortunately my old eyes take to long to find the Black on Black. I did try and put a Yellow in dot on the front sight. It might have helped a little, but still not suitable for me. Maybe if I shot it a lot, and a lot more it might make a difference.

Bilsondiehard

Marksman
Reaction score
I’m kind of curious what the longer term response has been to dot sights. My first exposure was in IPSC open class back when I was tall thin and perty. It was a non-reciprocating red dot the size of a c-cell flashlight which made it pure evil for placing.38 Supers. I’ve tried the Holosun on a P365XL, and while it does work, I don’t find it to be particularly advantageous. By my thinking at the classic 21ft and in you should be able to draw and fire effectively without even seeing the sights. I don’t carry what I do simply for halitosis range and find it expedient to use rear sight holds up the slide like a ladder sight. How many of you are over the moon with your dot sights and are there any who have gone back the other way? For the record, I have won every gunfight I have ever been in… 😉
I was always a classic irons 1911 guy. That being said once I got a dot everything but my trusty cqb commander has been fitted. It’s just too easy not too.

On the subject I don’t own one yet but I tried the HS507K-X2 with ACSS® Vulcan and omg…. The thing aims for you. Kinda take the sport out of it all but for an edc in a defensive situation… why play fair? 🤷🏻‍♂️

commandcomm

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In a quick defensive shooting situation, you will not aim. As an LEO when I practice fired or qualified with my pistol I never aimed. It was point and shoot with muscle memory to hit the target. Much faster.

I only see use in a dot for range and competition shooting.

Cold Smoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In a quick defensive shooting situation, you will not aim. As an LEO when I practice fired or qualified with my pistol I never aimed. It was point and shoot with muscle memory to hit the target. Much faster.

Interestingly, a video came across my feed on YouTube this afternoon where they were doing a flat range assessment of combative handgun training from the first and second world wars which were on the heels of the wild west. Without much time given to the drills they did show positive results. Of course they had to insert the caveats that modern techniques and drills are built on the foundations of the past. I suspect that when you have a heartbeat like a hummingbird and your vision is narrowed to a drain pipe, the guy who has popped more caps and burned more powder with a single platform will be able to go farther on muscle memory and sixth sense than most of us gear queers would like to admit. But that’s just an opinion…

TerryP

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I point shoot out to a couple of yards, really more of a use of the slide assembly as the front sight. If you need to actually hit the target I’d highly suggest you use the sights..
As far as speed goes, I’m fairly good.
If you can outrun me up close and actually hit anything it won’t be because your not looking at the sights.

user 51785

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

more and more agencies are using dots so that kinda goes against that you think they are only for range and competition. i grew up using iron sights and was always pretty good, but since i bought a dot sight and learned how to use it i am a better shooter now. imo i think we will see more and more agencies using them and pretty soon they will be standard equipment for everybody that can afford to buy them.

commandcomm

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
more and more agencies are using dots so that kinda goes against that you think they are only for range and competition. i grew up using iron sights and was always pretty good, but since i bought a dot sight and learned how to use it i am a better shooter now. imo i think we will see more and more agencies using them and pretty soon they will be standard equipment for everybody that can afford to buy them.

In a short distance within 7 yards shooting in “combat” scenarios (what I meant in my post) I do not “aim”. It is remove from holster, barrel on target, and fire. One does not have time to aim like one does at a range in combat scenarios within 7 yards.

Watch videos of self defense shootings or police shooting within 7 yards where the shooter has to remove the gun from the holster and fire. The shooters are not aiming.

Latest posts

Top Bottom