Anyone dumping the dot?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The gun mfrs will find a way to sell pistols without an optic mount as some new fancy "lightweight" option.

And gun buyers will eat it up without realizing it is literally what was the standard all along.

conditionzero

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1695051646217.png

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I too am one that has a rds on a few pistols and they help me since my eyesight went to readers and squinting hard without. Like others 7 yds isn’t the problem but that is muscle memory. A interesting thing is that the 191- and revolvers I don’t really have a problem but they just point well for me, but saying that I’m interested in seeing the new rds equipped Taurus revolver-I know the heresy.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had a Leupold DeltaPoint Pro in the safe for months without a gun it would fit on...because I didn't want to spend the money on a plate, mostly.

Finally traded today for a Glock 45 MOS. It has a plate and the DPP is now installed. I'm gonna try it again in the next day or two and see how it works.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
They take practice and more practice and more practice if you've always been an irons guy (or gal). They will highlight all your mistakes/habits that irons tend to hide. They can also help you make new bad habits in stance and hold, so I'd recommend lots and lots of dry fire, presentation, Pos 3 to 4, transition, etc to weed out the bad. All that can be done in your barn or living room, (some might be both). I still have to spend a daily 5-10 mins of just dry practice in the barn. I set up e-types all over the place for it.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to them exclusively for carry. My eyesight has always been crap. But even with astigmatism (corrected by contact lenses, but not perfectly), I can get the dot on target easier than trying to focus on the irons and target.

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Astigmatism ruins red dots unless a magnifier is used. I run them on my rifle, but cannot use on a pistol. They starburst so bad, talk about covering up a target!

My astigmatism is unrepairable.
Just curious, have you tried a green dot? Strange as it sounds, and is, I have a friend with astigmatism who was having the same issue you described. He tried shooting a red dot several times, but never had any success at all, not even close, then one day someone handed him a green dot and even though he wasn't hopeful he tried it, low and behold his groups were nearly perfect again.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shot USPSA with pistol, and finally PCC for around 10 years or so, with the Age Related Macular degeneration coming on in the left eye which is the non-dominate eye. Vision in the right eye is 20/10 and has been for many years. The bottom line of the eye chart at the Optometrist is crystal clear to me.
Left eye used to be that sharp but no more.
The last year or so of competition, had some issues with acquiring the next target as I'd always used both eyes open when shooting, so the side vision suffered when needing to shoot right to left. The AMD was kicking in.
Transitioning from irons to red dot or green dot takes a ton of practice. When pulling a pistol with a dot on it to shoot for the first time, it feels like you're having to roll the pistol down to acquire the dot and is not natural to an iron sight shooter.
Dry fire and practice fixes that pretty quick. I'm pretty much red dot on almost everything now short range to include .22 rifles.

Cold Smoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don’t want anyone to think I’m trying to burn up red dots with hot fertilizer. There’s way too much evidence that points to their viability. The military kind of turns like an iceberg, but it didn’t take them long to read the writing on the wall. I’m thinking about picking up an enclosed emitter Holosun and putting on my EDC. The biggest downside that I never expected was having dust bunnies get the drizzles all over my lenses. That’s my biggest legitimate beef and it’s not exactly ginormous. I do think if there were a low profile method of mounting where it doesn’t reciprocate that would be a boon. It’s not like the holster market hasn’t adapted to everything thing else that floats down the creek. I know in the back of my mind my dot is two mils and start doing the maffs when I throw down to kind of mil range objects in my line of destruction.

I’m curious after reading Gideons original post what the CLEET qualifier looks like. He said they start at 25 and go out, how far out? I admit 75 to 100 plus in the shadows is tough with a handgun for myself, and probably a few others dimming with age and definitely caliber sensitive.

I just kind of thought that since these little hole cards have been out for a while, several guys with more than a little experience might have well reasoned pros and cons that are rarely discussed in front of the kids.

Latest posts

Top Bottom