Anyone dumping the dot?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jgibs0321

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m kind of curious what the longer term response has been to dot sights. My first exposure was in IPSC open class back when I was tall thin and perty. It was a non-reciprocating red dot the size of a c-cell flashlight which made it pure evil for placing.38 Supers. I’ve tried the Holosun on a P365XL, and while it does work, I don’t find it to be particularly advantageous. By my thinking at the classic 21ft and in you should be able to draw and fire effectively without even seeing the sights. I don’t carry what I do simply for halitosis range and find it expedient to use rear sight holds up the slide like a ladder sight. How many of you are over the moon with your dot sights and are there any who have gone back the other way? For the record, I have won every gunfight I have ever been in… 😉
I never got on board. Not that Im opposed, I just dont see how it makes my life that much better. Im not drawing my gun on people at over 25 yards unless they have a gun or knife and are plainly targeting me in a capacity that they have the intent and CAPABILITY to cause permanent damage to my limbs or kill me or my family. So the love for using handguns to do things at rifle distances is awesome, I support it, I can hit targets at 50 and 75 yards too but not as well as a dot shooter, but thats active shooter level problems, but within 25 yards, I can look at my target (not focused on the front sight) and still make good hits. You can definitely make good hits with a bare slide and no sights at all at 21 feet if you arent a horrible handgun shooter and probably a little further if you absolutely had to, such as a dedicated red dot pistol goes out and now you just have a glass window.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I looking to go with a dot for my new Ruger Mark IV Pistol. Which is your preference. RED or GREEN?
Red. I've been looking at a red dot for most of my rifle/handgun life, so it's like a comfort to me. My fiber optic front sights are green, so an alternate color helps

SKATA

Leave the gun, take the cannoli
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Old school kinda of guy. Iron sights on my handguns. Been practicing every week with my micro and sub compact for defensive shooting. Mostly center mass hits on human paper target from 15 to 30 feet. Trying to shoot rapidly too. I do like green fiber optic though.

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They take practice and more practice and more practice if you've always been an irons guy (or gal). They will highlight all your mistakes/habits that irons tend to hide. They can also help you make new bad habits in stance and hold, so I'd recommend lots and lots of dry fire, presentation, Pos 3 to 4, transition, etc to weed out the bad. All that can be done in your barn or living room, (some might be both). I still have to spend a daily 5-10 mins of just dry practice in the barn. I set up e-types all over the place for it.
Out of curiosity, what new bad habits have you seen? I’ve only seen improvements when MRDS are used.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Lazy and not presenting fully...just tilting the gun to accommodate...like that as an example. One can still hit what they're shooting at; improvements are relative. I don't correlate improvements with technology only.

It probably has more to do with bad habits from the get go.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just curious, have you tried a green dot? Strange as it sounds, and is, I have a friend with astigmatism who was having the same issue you described. He tried shooting a red dot several times, but never had any success at all, not even close, then one day someone handed him a green dot and even though he wasn't hopeful he tried it, low and behold his groups were nearly perfect again.

I have not. I will have to try. Mine is very extreme and is beyond surgery help. Thanks.

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lazy and not presenting fully...just tilting the gun to accommodate...like that as an example. One can still hit what they're shooting at; improvements are relative. I don't correlate improvements with technology only.

It probably has more to do with bad habits from the get go.
I mostly agree. Most of the improvements I see are related to the dot telling on people. Draw stroke, recoil control etc. I will say there seems to be an improvement on hit ratio in FOF I would attribute to technology. Natural instinct for most people is a threat focus, which lends well to the MRDS.

I will keep an eye out for shooters getting lazy with full presentations though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom