Point Shooting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have practiced quite a bit with my pocket pistol that has a laser. Pull it out one handed aim from just above the wast, click on the laser instead of the trigger and see how close I am. Might possibly come in handy sometime, depending on the situation. If I can learn shoot over, under, around, and through upside down, I do not think there is anything negative to that.

I will never be this good with a pistol, but take a look at this Tim Bradley U-Tube with a Beretta shotgun, to me it falls under about the same category. I doubt if he uses much to sight with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDRa-tIhNpU

Supposedly he could keep a golf ball in the air with a .22 until the magazine was empty. Again, not a lot of time to sight.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From Jerrys Dictionary, Point Shooting ( the art of accessing your weapon and firing at a target within arms length without shooting yourself). You dont need a class.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shooting from the hip is a range trick that I wouldn't count on in a life or death situation. True point shooting can be an effective method of putting rounds on a target....if the target is large enough and close enough.

Glock31

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I practice with pointing at the target with my thumbs, its very effective and ive effectively seen people hit targets out to 50 yards with this technique. It is a very viable option that I condone. Much faster then using sights and allows you to fire before being fully extended for those speedy shots...practice it!! youll love it when you get it down

BrandonMF

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's quite easy 15 yards and in while moving. Point shooting a 1 inch target at ten feet is satisfying. You point shoot anyway you just take the extra second to confirm your sights are properly lined up.

Think about it.

You push out, your thumbs pointed at the target, your body automatically aligns with the gun and all you are doing at that point is acquiring sight picture simply to confirm that it's there. It's already THERE, buddies, you just haven't verified it yet.

If you have a decent grasp of your fundamentals, you're going to hit consistently out to fifteen yards. Past that I feel more confident using my sights.

BrandonMF

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've also found that while I'm moving and shooting, if I don't concentrate on getting the "perfect" sight picture for vital shots, I end up with really tight fast groups in critical areas.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Besides shooting from the hip at melee distances (within arms length,) the idea with point shooting is that if they're within 10 yards in, you can accurately put rounds on target without a perfect sight picture. Here's a vid showing an example of it in this videos. Notice that he still shoots with the proper arm extension and grip. With enough practice, muscle memory can get you very accurate just presenting the firearm properly.

The wind is bad in the vid. Click on the closed caption button on the bottom right to get the closed captioning provided by the uploader of the vid.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Top Bottom