Poll- Would you support gunshow/private sale background checks?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you support universal background checks?

• Yes

Votes: 8 7.2%
  • Yes, but only with CC fast pass

Votes: 9 8.1%
  • No

Votes: 94 84.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While I don't want the government snooping around in my personal affairs, I can see the benefit of a properly functioning background check system for all gun sales. If the system worked, all agencies reported correctly and there was a proper system for filing grievances (errors, etc), would you support a universal background check system for all gun sales, including FTFs?

Also, would you support a system that allowed for CC holders to get a rapid response- ie run the license number, the system authenticates and then approves the purchase?

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the system worked, all agencies reported correctly and there was a proper system for filing grievances (errors, etc),

Those are three planet sized "ifs" that have never happened in any government program I know of, anywhere, and I worked for the Federal Government for 27 years.
And if what the VA is doing to vets on their program to disqualify vets from owning guns is any indication, it not going to happen.

Due process demands something better than the Govt just puts you on a list and YOU have to prove you are innocent. Do you realize that simply authorizing my daughter to access my VA finances purely as a convenience or in consideration of future contingencies would put me on the VA "mentally incompetent to own guns list?"

donMiguel

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would not advocate for it, and it will annoy me with every F2F transaction that I have to pay to be re-verified as a good guy, but it is already the law here (Washington State), as of last year. It will serve mostly to burden the honest folk who follow the rules, and is a barrier only to the least creative and the least competent. It is mostly a feel-good gesture.
Here the background check uses the same NICS as an FFL purchase, hence all the same weaknesses.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The problem with doing a NICS check for those "private sales" is the fact that if the buyer does not pass, you must do a NICS check on the seller before you can return his gun to him. The FFL doing the check has to log the gun into his Bound Book and must record the eventual disposition of the gun. If the seller cannot pass the NICS check, you cannot return the gun to him. That will put the FFL dealer in a tough spot. He will have to hold the gun until it can be released to someone who can pass the NICS check.

If you are an FFL Dealer, make sure you make that clear to anyone who would choose to have you do a NICS check for their private sale.

Woody

LOKNLOD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the law requires these checks, how do you know if they are happening?

By registering the guns, that's how. If you don't know where the guns are at, you don't know if they're changing hands properly or not.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If we get UBC's then what is next? This is the 'camel's nose' argument and it is usually a logical fallacy. However, in the case of gun-control, it has a lot of validity. Why? Because the liberals are openly discussing and putting these ideas forth as proposed policy.

And we have the example of the UK to guide us as well. The British, up until around 1900 had very lax gun laws. And then the process began. At first, the laws were very mild, and innocuous. A tax stamp for pistols, that cost all of around 50 cents was the first step. The laws gradually became tougher and now look at the British shooter.

Liberals like for us to believe that criminals and those mentally unfit get their guns from private transactions and this is the reason they want to do away with them. For a miniscule percentage perhaps, this is the case.

The real reason, however, is somewhat darker. A gun sold in a stranger-to-stranger transaction effectively disappears forever from the radar and it cannot be traced. The feds don't know where it is, and so when the time comes, they will have a much harder time collecting the guns. If all firearms transactions go through an FFL, they can track the gun down. The reason the liberals give for supporting UBC's is nothing more than a red herring

And these are the reasons why I don't support UBC.

Latest posts

Top Bottom