Polybutylene plumbing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So here’s the leak. It was a 10gal/hour leak when I noticed it. The area circled was face down on the gravel with a pvc drain line from the washer/dryer directly above it
image.jpg

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Isn't there some sort of a detector that will detect where the copper pipes are through the slab? Seems like I read about that somewhere... I've had PEX in my home for nearly 20 years and haven't and any problems. Used it to plumb my well and nada problemo.

Droff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What repair/replace method would be used for that amount?
___

Insulated water lines all ran through the attic and down interior walls. New shutoff valves on all connections - main line in the house, sinks, toilets and ice maker. Any poly under the slab will stay there.
The closest wall to my kitchen sink is roughly 7' away so that line will run through the back of my bottom cabinets (I guess).

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Even pvc primer would have been something. No glue either.

We moved into my Grandma's house on '03, she passed on '98. She had the sewer lines, under the house (pier and beam) replaced in '95.

After moving in, started noticing wet spots.
Crawling under house, muddy, almost every pvc joint was loose. No primer, no glue.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone on here repipe their house?

My lines are under the slab and I've got a small water leak under the kitchen floor. My house has polybutylene all throughout and this is the first indication of a leak, the house is 26 years old.

I've read everywhere that poly usually leaks within 10-15 years so I'm feeling I may be on borrowed time, but then again, don't know.
Right now, somewhere in the $1300-$1500 range to fix the line that is leaking.
Are you sure the water lines under your slab are PVC? The code in most Ok. cities/counties is rigid copper under slabs. If your plumbing was inspected when it was being built, there should be a record of the inspection somewhere.

Droff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you sure the water lines under your slab are PVC? The code in most Ok. cities/counties is rigid copper under slabs. If your plumbing was inspected when it was being built, there should be a record of the inspection somewhere.

They aren't PVC, they are polybutylene. I'm guessing it was inspected but haven't seen that document. I'm as sure as I can be on the pb, all the stub outs are pb and the lines going into the dirt under the water heater are pb. Hard to imagine the builder would switch over to copper once the lines got to the dirt, but there's been several stupid things I've ran across over the course of 26 years.

Latest posts

Top Bottom