Polybutylene plumbing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
My plumber found a leak in the main Pex line leading to my plumbing. Broke slab and they were within 6” of it once they broke concrete. They used a listening device. Impressed the crap out of me.
In your newish house? We’ve been in ours for a year now. It’s all pex and my research tells me that it’s usually the fault of the installer or another contractor nicking or pinching a line. The only issue we’ve had is the main ball valve went through the deep freeze of 20/21 and failed later.
The technology they use is pretty cool though.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In your newish house? We’ve been in ours for a year now. It’s all pex and my research tells me that it’s usually the fault of the installer or another contractor nicking or pinching a line. The only issue we’ve had is the main ball valve went through the deep freeze of 20/21 and failed later.
The technology they use is pretty cool though.
Yep. It was a nick from when it was installed. About 2” from the main shut off.
looked like they were about to cut too short and then thought better of it. It ran maybe $1400?
a deal I thought. I love jeans plumbing.

Chaparral

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had to repipe a home once before. Previous owner ran all new pipe from road to house and then lots of new pipe inside the home. Apparently they ran out of money for pipe cement and things started leaking a few months after we moved in. Threaded PEX through the pvc pipe, very easy to do ex the section where they had a box of elbows to use up, had to dig that section by hand and just used it as a pull station for the PEX. Much cheaper and not difficult to do. Shark bites are easy to use, was told not to buy cheap shark bites.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't know if it's legal with city codes, but if I were having a new home built, I'd install conduit and run the pex through it like electrical wiring through the slab. If anything happened, easy fix. It would cost more but the peace of mind that came with that type of installation would be worth the cost.
When I wired my shop building, used conduit twice the size required to run the conductors. It paid off.
Recently decided to run a 230 V outlet for a welder to the outside of the shop door so the welder can be wheeled to that area and something too big to be inside can be welded. At the same time ran two more conductors through there to run a motion light for the side door.
I'm big on bigger is better.

Droff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So now a decision point. Estimate is $10,500 and I do the drywall patching.
Will be having discussions with the better half.

Latest posts

Top Bottom