Portable Duck Blind?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WacosSon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why is it that NO ONE makes a good, portable, professional duck blind? Most of the guys I know have resorted to making their own. Made this one last season, but I'm not counting on it holding up in the extreme cold:

http://tailsfromthehunt.posterous.com/diy-portable-duck-blind

We can buy deer blinds, turkey blinds, and every other kind of blind, but does no one make a professional prefab duck blind??? Why not?

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good question, seems like you'd have enough people willing to buy them to make some money? How did your PVC blind work out for you?

I used to spend more time making makeshift blind when hunting someplace new, or on public land. I don't think I worry about it as much now, not that being concealed isn't important, but I tend to hunt the same places over and over and have natural hiding spots to give me some cover. My favorite hiding spot is right out in the middle of the water, right in the middle of the decoys, no cover or nothing. I have a little slough behind the house that isn't much more than waist deep and I have killed more ducks standing in the middle of it than anything almost. There really isn't any trees to speak of in the slough, just around the edges, but apparently I look like one out there. I only do this on calm days so that I don't have to look up. I just stare at the water and watch the birds reflection. But being out among the decoys on a still day stirs the water and I can move my legs or body enough to create movement, without actually moving any. I know it sounds rediculous, but how many times have you been out picking up deeks and had birds fly in? I think they focus as much on the stirring in the water and on the decoys, but fail to notice the dude in camo with the boomstick.

Sorry to navigate from your blind question... :blahblah:

WacosSon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good question, seems like you'd have enough people willing to buy them to make some money? How did your PVC blind work out for you?

I used to spend more time making makeshift blind when hunting someplace new, or on public land. I don't think I worry about it as much now, not that being concealed isn't important, but I tend to hunt the same places over and over and have natural hiding spots to give me some cover. My favorite hiding spot is right out in the middle of the water, right in the middle of the decoys, no cover or nothing. I have a little slough behind the house that isn't much more than waist deep and I have killed more ducks standing in the middle of it than anything almost. There really isn't any trees to speak of in the slough, just around the edges, but apparently I look like one out there. I only do this on calm days so that I don't have to look up. I just stare at the water and watch the birds reflection. But being out among the decoys on a still day stirs the water and I can move my legs or body enough to create movement, without actually moving any. I know it sounds rediculous, but how many times have you been out picking up deeks and had birds fly in? I think they focus as much on the stirring in the water and on the decoys, but fail to notice the dude in camo with the boomstick.

Sorry to navigate from your blind question... :blahblah:

Not a bad idea. I'd love to get to know some spots enough to not need to haul in a blind.

The PVC blind worked perfectly in cooler weather (40 degrees+). Havent tried it in the freezing weather yet. Heard it might crack - guess we'll see. It was cheap to make and repair and fairly light.

I'm seriously perplexed why people don't make professional blinds. There's TONS of people who would buy them and they make alot of sense, especially in areas where the terrain and weather changes rapidly. If anyone out there knows of one, let me know, but all my research has come up with nothing. :scream:

WacosSon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.aerooutdoors.com/products/blinds/duck_modular.shtml

That one is somewhat portable, I think it said it weighed 55 lbs. Which is quite a bit when you're humpin that in, in the dark.

http://txfowlers.com/DUCK_HUNTING_BLIND_AT.asp

This one may be a little better....

Have you ever considered a layout blind?

Those are some pretty cool blinds. The first one isn't very portable as you mentioned. The second one is actually probably the coolest and most professional one I've seen - but with a big price tag.

I've looked into layout blinds, but to be honest, I'm kind of a big guy, so I think it would be difficult to use.....

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think most can be duck blinds just not marketed that way. My deer/turkey ground blind(Ameristep) is the square kind with all four corners coming to a hub for the roof. All of the roof panels unzip to be used for hunting some type of foul.

WacosSon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think most can be duck blinds just not marketed that way. My deer/turkey ground blind(Ameristep) is the square kind with all four corners coming to a hub for the roof. All of the roof panels unzip to be used for hunting some type of foul.

do you know what kind of ameristep blind you have? I have the brickhouse blind, but my roof doesn't unzip.......making me wonder if I couldn't rig up some kind of velcro solution though!

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
ameristep makes one called the hayhouse? i believe. it looks like a hay bale and the roof slides back on little rails. it will serve well for all hunting

Latest posts

Top Bottom