Portable Generators?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ace_on_the_Turn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Some of the new furnaces need very clean power. They have also been known to blow circuit boards with some of the cheap contractor grade generators. I personally like the inverter type of generator that produces true sign wave power. They are also a lot quieter, use less gas and are a lot more expensive. You can run into the same thing with inverters. I have gone with true sign wave inverters and UPS's.

I think you mean sine wave, not sign.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seriously thinking of getting one of the Miller Bobcat Welders with the 11K generator included. Its not that much more than a quality electric start 10K continuous Gen.

We don't have electric at the farm. I get by with a 5k cheapie for lights etc, in the barn but can't weld with it.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seriously thinking of getting one of the Miller Bobcat Welders with the 11K generator included. Its not that much more than a quality electric start 10K continuous Gen.

We don't have electric at the farm. I get by with a 5k cheapie for lights etc, in the barn but can't weld with it.

I have a 5500 and run my 220V Lincoln wire welder off it quite often. Have you actually tried? I did have to make a cord with the right plug/socket but found everything I needed at Lowe's.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 5500 and run my 220V Lincoln wire welder off it quite often. Have you actually tried? I did have to make a cord with the right plug/socket but found everything I needed at Lowe's.

I tried my Miller 230V, 250A, AC/DC and it only sparkled when trying to strike an arc. Something about the combo didn't work.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My sister and BIL live on a small acreage.
They have their RV parked next to the house and when power is out run a heavy extension cord from the RV inside.
The 80 gallon gas tank comes in handy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom