Possum

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoronaBorealis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I live in Norman. I have chickens and noticed a possum in my backyard tonight, snooping around my chicken pen.

Does anyone know what legal options I have? Shooting it isn’t an option in town. I have a live trap, but what to do with it then? I don’t want this thing eventually digging it’s way into my chicken pen.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They will kill your chickens and you have the right to remove them as a threat to your livestock.
Trap and relocate with the live trap. They are furbearers and have regulations about trapping them but all of that goes out the window when killing or threatening livestock.
Contact your local GW and ask them how they would like you to proceed is probably the best option.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Easy to catch in a live trap. You'll have shake it out of the trap most likely, they like to hang on. Since you're in town, shake him out, pop him in the head with a hand shovel. May sound cruel but it's instant.
Lemmetellyou a shovel will not kill it. They are freakin tough. Ten shovel hits maybe. Machete to the neck.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lemmetellyou a shovel will not kill it. They are freakin tough. Ten shovel hits maybe. Machete to the neck.
Well, I can tell you that a .38Spl rat shot to the face at a distance of a few feet will get you a bloody mess of an angry possum which you'll then have to whack with a shovel so you can carry it out to the driveway and dispatch it with an expensive Cor-Bon JHP...

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@CoronaBorealis actually legal for me to trap and release them or not.......using the cheapest canned cat food for bait and a Havahart live trap, available at Home Depot, I've caught several possums and a few skunks (never got sprayed) around the house and hauled them to the wooded area down by the S. Canadian river and released them unharmed.

possum t.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom