Possum

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Animal control is under Norman PD, IIRC. Never had to use them myself.
I was thinking more along #2a

Screenshot_20230314_104551_Samsung Internet.jpg

leemozoid

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I live in Norman. I have chickens and noticed a possum in my backyard tonight, snooping around my chicken pen.

Does anyone know what legal options I have? Shooting it isn’t an option in town. I have a live trap, but what to do with it then? I don’t want this thing eventually digging it’s way into my chicken pen.
Good animals to have around. Keep them well fed with dry cat or dog food and they'll have no interest in your birds. They eat a lot if ticks and other pest insects and are naturally rabies resistant. Depredation should be your last option.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good animals to have around. Keep them well fed with dry cat or dog food and they'll have no interest in your birds. They eat a lot if ticks and other pest insects and are naturally rabies resistant. Depredation should be your last option.
Wive's tale. (About helping with ticks)
But we understand if mama ain't happy nobody is happy.

Do they eat more ticks if you don't keep em well fed with dog/cat food

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I live in Norman. I have chickens and noticed a possum in my backyard tonight, snooping around my chicken pen.

Does anyone know what legal options I have? Shooting it isn’t an option in town. I have a live trap, but what to do with it then? I don’t want this thing eventually digging it’s way into my chicken pen.
I’m in east Norman. What area by the river are you referring to? I believe I read it’s illegal to release them onto private property, so just want to confirm I’m releasing them in the right spot. Would I be able to release out by lake Thunderbird? I have a live trap like in the pictures posted.
I'm not in a position to tell you exactly where to release them......just find a wooded area away from homes that looks like a place that you'd like to live if you were a possum. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom