Post 'em

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wanton Waste lot better options than just killing and leave um lay....but that is just the way I was brought up!!!!

Well on a deer sure! On an infestation... not so much. I don't eat every cricket hopping around my house. r00s7a couldn't possibly eat every hog plaguing his land, but I know for a fact he's willing to share meat with you.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wanton Waste lot better options than just killing and leave um lay....but that is just the way I was brought up!!!!

Bobber, I respectfully hear what you are saying, but where I live, it is just a little bit different. I agree 100% on most other animals. We are covered in pigs down here at times. The Kiamichi River splits the ranch I live on, so that makes it even worse. When they move in, they destroy our hay meadows, which feed our livestock, which pays our bills. I shoot at every one I see. If I kill one, it usually stays right there for mother nature to do what she does. I always have pork in my freezer, and anyone that wants one is more than welcome to come get it. Although they are edible, they are a nuisance and shot as an animal of opportunity and not sport. Don't get me wrong, I love me some pig shootin! I enjoy every minute of it, but it is necessary.

I've got GPS coordinates of where he is if there are any takers! I'm pretty sure he's still there...

As for dead hog fowling the hunting spot, don't honestly know. I sat at that same stand that evening and could see him, watched two separate does walk within 20 yards of him, looked at him, and went on. He was still perched in that photo pose, haha, so I guess he looked still alive. I do think animals know the smell of death and are aware of it. What their reactions are, I can't say. I don't really plan on hunting the property anymore, it was just someplace new I hadn't hunted and gave it hell all weekend.

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You don't reckon the smell of a rotting hog over the next few weeks will affect your deer hunting if it warms up?

(I don't know, that's why I'm asking, very little experience)

I might have moved it for that reason alone.

Bobber, I respectfully hear what you are saying, but where I live, it is just a little bit different. I agree 100% on most other animals. We are covered in pigs down here at times. The Kiamichi River splits the ranch I live on, so that makes it even worse. When they move in, they destroy our hay meadows, which feed our livestock, which pays our bills. I shoot at every one I see. If I kill one, it usually stays right there for mother nature to do what she does. I always have pork in my freezer, and anyone that wants one is more than welcome to come get it. Although they are edible, they are a nuisance and shot as an animal of opportunity and not sport. Don't get me wrong, I love me some pig shootin! I enjoy every minute of it, but it is necessary.

I've got GPS coordinates of where he is if there are any takers! I'm pretty sure he's still there...

As for dead hog fowling the hunting spot, don't honestly know. I sat at that same stand that evening and could see him, watched two separate does walk within 20 yards of him, looked at him, and went on. He was still perched in that photo pose, haha, so I guess he looked still alive. I do think animals know the smell of death and are aware of it. What their reactions are, I can't say. I don't really plan on hunting the property anymore, it was just someplace new I hadn't hunted and gave it hell all weekend.

The second doe I shot on opening day came in with 3 other does an hour after I shot the first one. The trail they used to come out of the woods was about 6 yards from where she dropped. She used the same trail to get into the woods, then evidently left it once in the woods and dropped 6 yards later. They didn't seem to mind to much. The 3 unshot deer ran right back on that same trail.

sesh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Probably the tongue out. I asked the deer to keep it in when I shot, but he did not listen. Sorry (not really) I did not take the time to pretty him up to better light the fire in 300WSM's loins.
After finding him, dragging him, and being excited, a tongue was the last thing on my mind.

He's referencing a thread from a couple years ago, OSA hunting section gold, I bumped it but here's a linky too: http://www.okshooters.com/showthrea...c-hunting-pictures&highlight=hunting+pictures

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

There are only two types of good feral hogs. Those that are about to die and those already rotting in the sun! Unfortunately there is no turning back for Oklahoma, we are totally screwed. Too much of a business/industry built around those god forsaken things. The only way to be rid of them is to outlaw sport hunting of them. Look at Kansas and watch what happens in Tennesse. Think I'm crazy? It will work.

Rant off. Back to subject. Nice kills everyone. Keep them coming!

Latest posts

Top Bottom