Preparing for this year's hunting, what's missing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just added a few more Craigslist specials, a Black Creek Bone Collector Whitetail Fanny Pack and a Chrony so I can finally check speeds on my hand loads. Other items added, Winchester Model 70 300 Win Mag topped with a Bushnell Elite 3200 4x16x50 with all necessary to reload. Think I've decided on Nosler Accubond 180 grain over IMR4350 for the elk hunt. I've gotten good accuracy with it so far. Also got some green superfeet insoles for the hunting boots, so far so good. Patiently waiting for October 1st.....and January for the elk.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
a face/ head netting to keep pesky gnats and mosquito from making you flinch.

A camo one.. as your face stands out like a pumpkin.
Get used to looking through the tiny holes without going insane.
Duct tape and super glue.
You can fix many things with those including terrible wounds..Snake bite kit and other first aid stuff of course.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just added a few more Craigslist specials, a Black Creek Bone Collector Whitetail Fanny Pack and a Chrony so I can finally check speeds on my hand loads. Other items added, Winchester Model 70 300 Win Mag topped with a Bushnell Elite 3200 4x16x50 with all necessary to reload. Think I've decided on Nosler Accubond 180 grain over IMR4350 for the elk hunt. I've gotten good accuracy with it so far. Also got some green superfeet insoles for the hunting boots, so far so good. Patiently waiting for October 1st.....and January for the elk.
Check out Reloader 19. I've switched to that vs IMR4350. You get lower pressures and about 100 fps more velocity with the same amount of powder.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
a face/ head netting to keep pesky gnats and mosquito from making you flinch.

A camo one.. as your face stands out like a pumpkin.
Get used to looking through the tiny holes without going insane.
Duct tape and super glue.
You can fix many things with those including terrible wounds..Snake bite kit and other first aid stuff of course.

I did get some camo face paint. I agree, would like a nice face cover. Was actually looking at guillie suits a bit. Duct tape and super glue are always in the pack with a small first aid kit.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Check out Reloader 19. I've switched to that vs IMR4350. You get lower pressures and about 100 fps more velocity with the same amount of powder.

After researching it seems many were using Reloader 22, I didn't see many using 19. They didn't have any 22 when I was buying or I would have tried that also. I can use the IMR4350 with my 243 loads also so that's a plus.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just ordered some green superfeet insoles for my Danner hunting boots also. Seemed high at over $30 but comfy feet are very important on those long hikes, especially with meat on your back.

I love the super feet insoles. Have a few pairs. The orange ones are perfect for me. You hit the nail on the head comfortable feet are priceless !!

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Instead of duct tape check out tenacious tape by gear aid. Amazing stuff. Fixed a carbon tent pole one night in a wicked wind storm. It held the rest of the night. Patched my down puffy coat many times with it as well as my paratarp.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love the super feet insoles. Have a few pairs. The orange ones are perfect for me. You hit the nail on the head comfortable feet are priceless !!

When they arrived they seemed a little sparse. I've only been out walking in them once. The jury is still out on them for me though. Maybe I should have gotten the orange.

Latest posts

Top Bottom