Preparing for this year's hunting, what's missing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After recently getting back into the hunting scene I've been planning, and spending, in prep for this coming deer season. I missed a lot of hunting time last year during bow season, since I didn't have one. I'm still knocking on doors for access to land for bow hunting and researching public land hunting. I wasn't as prepared last year as I needed to be so I've been working on fixing that this summer. Also putting in lots of time reading and listening to wired to hunt podcast. Great way to pass the time while reloading or doing menial task.

So far this has been my purchase list this summer:

Two used tree stands and some climbing sticks (a learning experience since I've never used them)
A new harness
A nice used Mathews Switchback Bow (I haven't bow hunted previous so I'm learning, shooting most every night and feeling more confident daily)
Some full metal jacket arrows and spitfire broadheads
A new pair of muck boots
A pair of Danner Hunting Boots 800 grams insulation (used since I couldn't put out the price for new, but still good with some minor gluing)
A pair of smartwool hunting socks and sock liners (froze my butt off last year)
A pair of heat factory fleece lined ragg wool gloves (suggestion on some site as best allowing bow/rifle use)
A heated dewalt hunting jacket (again, froze my butt off last year)
A ghostblind soon (trying to get the neighbor to let me bow hunt just behind my property and need a fast set up for in and out)
A used ground blind (still not sure when/where I'll use it but got a good deal so went for it)
A new Buck 110 folding knife (could I really call myself a hunter without owning one of these?)
Some noseblocker (guys from wired to hunt really like it so thought I'd give it a try)
A Tikka CTR in 308 with Leupold for rifle season. (Took up reloading also. Lots of time at 200 yards, won't miss this year)

So, what's missing? Suggestions? I'd also be curious as to what others have purchased in their preparations for the upcoming season.

Last edited:

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's the one I plan on buying....meeting soon to do so...

I did some research on them and for where I plan on going it's a good choice. I just need to play the wind and figure out how to draw without getting busted.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Honestly, I'm bad about taking too much into the field. 2 things I would recommend is a shoulder strap deer drag and a grunt call that's able to be used as a doe bleat.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Binocs? I've become increasingly reliant on glass. Even in fairly tight cover. Buy the best you can afford. You really get what you pay for in binocs.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Binocs? I've become increasingly reliant on glass. Even in fairly tight cover. Buy the best you can afford. You really get what you pay for in binocs.
Exactly. Always thought my eyes were very sharp, but awhile back a member on here and I went on a frog hunting trip in some big ranches. Pulling up to the ponds, the eyeball did not see any frogs other than some dinks in the moss. With the quality binoculars he had, we spotted them under banks in the shade, on the bank in the weeds, etc. Got our limit. The pics have been posted on OSA in the past.
The same will happen with deer that are shy about coming into the open. During rut all rules will be broken but before and after, one may not see anything more than an ear, eye, or an antler. In my tower blind I spend most of my time with the spotting scope glassing the area.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Exactly. Always thought my eyes were very sharp, but awhile back a member on here and I went on a frog hunting trip in some big ranches. Pulling up to the ponds, the eyeball did not see any frogs other than some dinks in the moss. With the quality binoculars he had, we spotted them under banks in the shade, on the bank in the weeds, etc. Got our limit. The pics have been posted on OSA in the past.
The same will happen with deer that are shy about coming into the open. During rut all rules will be broken but before and after, one may not see anything more than an ear, eye, or an antler. In my tower blind I spend most of my time with the spotting scope glassing the area.

I got a cheap pair and do need a better one. I guess it's been hard to justify what they want for some of the good ones. Keeping my eye out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom