Preppers and fitness

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I watched a show on the History Channel about the possibility of zombie apocolypse last night. Interesting thoughts on preparing for disasters, natural and man made. Had firearms "experts", etc..said something about not being able to pack your gear and weapon for miles....
So who wants to "bug out" at the Pawnee Run N Gun in January?
There's chili at the finish line.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It gave some background about "zombie" lore throughout history, then went on to prepping, Zombie Squad, different plague/virus scenarios. Kinda interesting.
It wasn't trying to sell the idea that a zombie apocolypse is coming, just that different situations may cause the same SHTF program.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It gave some background about "zombie" lore throughout history, then went on to prepping, Zombie Squad, different plague/virus scenarios. Kinda interesting.
It wasn't trying to sell the idea that a zombie apocolypse is coming, just that different situations may cause the same SHTF program.

+1. The "Zombie" thing is just a good vehicle/motivator to do common sense stuff that you should be doing anyway. One thing I'm learning in regards to fitness is the importance of including your kids. We/I tend to assume that kids have some natural level of fitness, which is true but it has a shelf life.

I took my kids on a 5-6 mile rock scrambling hike through the Charon's Gardens Wilderness Area this weekend. They all did well, but there was a noticable difference:

My 7 year old, who participates in no organized sports yet, made the entire trip without complaint and took turns on the one "kids pack" the three of them had to share. The 10 year old, who participates in competitive gymnastics 3 times a week including lengthy conditioning sessions, started to short out on the return trip. The 13 year old, who does powerlifting/boxing twice a week, was smoked by the time we crested our first hill on the way in.

That's a good, unscientific case study for anyone who thinks they are going to throw packs on their kids backs and head off into the great "bug out" unknown.

The 13 year old now joins me for an afternoon workout before he starts homework. It's good for both of us....

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Who else from the "Prepper" crowd is doing the Pawnee Run and Gun in a couple weeks?

Good chance to stretch the legs and run your blasters out to 500 yards!

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
hog hunt2013.jpgSaw where you signed up, SMS - it's gonna be fun! Hensch and another buddy from Appleseed went with me to try out "winter condition" shooting Sunday. It was brutally cold plus wind. I hope the weather is better on the 17/18th. Sort of.....

SomeCallMeMom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just started the Cto5K this week. Once I finish that, I'll continue to run & add P90X again (I stopped & am now regretting that decision)! Anyone else trying to bring in the new year with new workout habits? Hopefully my core muscles will keep my back from splitting in two again...

Latest posts

Top Bottom